UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

DNA clue to presidential puzzle

Yes...Then he threw him on the fire!

Indeed... I don't quite get the fascination with Jefferson's children, but since some people care, I figured I'd post the story.

Well, I might not care too much about Jefferson's children, either, PP, but I do find this whole haplogroup stuff fascinating in itself. I saw the link in another thread to the project that the National Geographic are carrying out. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether it would be worthwhile to participate and thus find out our earliest migratory roots?

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether it would be worthwhile to participate and thus find out our earliest migratory roots?

I personally think it's quite worth while. I've been meaning for over a year to contribute a sample but something 'more important' has always come along and claimed the $99 for the kit. I plan to finally change that next month...

Anyway, since fall of '05 I've seen NG's atlas grow and more and more haplogroups are getting added. It's getting a lot busier with arrows which tells me that the more people that submit, the more suprises they'll find!

I can't wait to find out mine because I have a sneaking feeling that I'm going to be quite suprised.

Well, I might not care too much about Jefferson's children, either, PP, but I do find this whole haplogroup stuff fascinating in itself. I saw the link in another thread to the project that the National Geographic are carrying out. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether it would be worthwhile to participate and thus find out our earliest migratory roots?

I missed that other thread that mentioned the National Geographic project -- where was that?

I'd previously read the news about National Geo's Genographic Project, and I'm thinking of participating. A couple of years ago both my man and I had our DNA tested by Oxford Ancestors to find out which of the "Seven Daughters of Eve" we each were sprung from.

My "clan mother" turned out to be Helena (Haplogroup H) and my man's was Jasmine (Haplogroup J). Which made me wonder whether the good folks at Oxford Ancestors might have mixed up our swabs. I would have thought that I would have been the one most likely to have been descended from the first farmers in the Middle East over 8,500 years ago -- not my man, who happens to be of pure British stock. If our swabs weren't mixed up, then I can only guess that there may have been a female captive from the Crusades somewhere in his family tree, brought back to England.

The Genographic Project test costs a lot less than the Oxford Ancestors test. I'm definitely inclining towards doing it.

-- Nephele

Edited by Nephele Carnalis

If Phonecian/Celtiberian trade interplay was as sophisticated as we sometimes suspect in our discussions , then the President could well be Phonecian-Welsh anyway. Cardiff is well known in the present day for its polyglot ethnicity.Who can say, a passing Phonecian tin buyer might not have popped over to check out the mehnir trade and taken a fancy to Catherine Zeta Jones's ancestress?

By the by... my comment on Jefferson's children was intended exactly as stated. Jefferson's extra-marital relations and resulting offspring have little bearing on anything other than to those who may have direct lineage. What I find strange is that anyone other than those potential descendants would care in the slightest what Jefferson was or wasn't doing. I suppose Pantagathus summed up my feelings quite well.

I could care less if he boffed the 'help' but the fact that he is K2 (M70) is extremely interesting in it's own right.

Both my parents did the National Geographic test. I'm haplogroup H maternally and haplogroup R1b paternally. I'm plain vanilla European, which I already knew, and it didn't give any specifics about genetic variation, though things might be more interesting if you have some strange genetics like Mr. Jefferson.

I missed that other thread that mentioned the National Geographic project -- where was that?

Yes, please re-post the link! I'd be really curious to find out...my dad would constantly tease my maternal (and very Italian) grandmother, telling her that he had some African and Asian blood in her...oh the oodles of fun there!

Edited by docoflove1974

Here is the link for The Genographic Project

-&-

Here are the links for Genetic Geneology services: Genbase Systems Genetic Geneology, Oxford Ancestors & Family Tree DNA

There is a difference in what results you get between NG's Genographic Project and Genetic Geneology services; NG explains the difference well on their site.

The Genographic Project test costs a lot less than the Oxford Ancestors test. I'm definitely inclining towards doing it.

Nephele, I *think* if you have already been tested, you can have your original sample submitted to NG for a reduced cost to be added into their database. Also, was his 'J' the mtDNA Haplogroup or the Y-chromosome one?

I'm haplogroup H maternally and haplogroup R1b paternally

Moon, that is what I should be. I agree that H is pretty vanilla but R1b is Western Atlantic European. Irish or Iberian? :rolleyes:

I have heard that a large percentage of Asia's population claim to be descended from Genghis Khan. Is there aby truth in this, seeing as I've seen it cited several times. Come to think of it, I believe that there was one man in Britain who was in the same DNA group, and could therefore claim descendance from Genghis.

I have heard that a large percentage of Asia's population claim to be descended from Genghis Khan. Is there aby truth in this, seeing as I've seen it cited several times. Come to think of it, I believe that there was one man in Britain who was in the same DNA group, and could therefore claim descendance from Genghis.

Not to stray further off topic but here you go: Genghis Khan a Prolific Lover, DNA Data Implies

This is very interesting. I'd like to do one for me and my boy, I like to encourage his mind in scientific wonder....Cash flow is tight right now though due to the recent move etc...Back burner.

Edit: My original post sounds somewhat cold and cruel. But of course I was referring to the phonecian practice of child sacrifice not to 18th century views on race. I'm sure most of you got it!

Edited by P.Clodius