UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Lemon...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is it with other people's computers? I am knocking on wood and surrounding myself with all sorts of charms to ward off the evil eye as I post this, but apart from wearing out my hard drives with just constant work over the years, I have never had any problems! I have always used PCs rather than Macs and have always had Windows (apart from the old dark days of MS DOS 6). Heck, even the PC that had the vile Windows ME did not let me down until his hard drive died, worn out. (I have that silly girl's thing of naming my machines, and the one with ME was 'Victor' cos he was a Viglen - I got 7 years out of him)

It could be that I don't use my PCs for anything too heavy though. Mine's a glorified word processor and I do create databases in Acces for my family history stuff. Other than that I have a bit of music a few photos and the Internet. I don't use the PC for games as my son tends to have every console going, and the PC has always been verboten for his gaming (I'm a tyrant). Nor do I seem to require huge graphics packacges. So, all you in the know, is this why I seem to get good service from my little machines? This latest - after the sad demise of Victor - is actually a giveaway from my son's high school. He's some unheard of make called RM - so I've named him Romulus! But he has Windows XP Pro, a 30G hard drive and a 1.4GH processor, 512 RAM. He's adequate for my small needs.

I've had less success with laptops! Oh, boy! I bought a Compaq Presario 2500 (? I think it is) that had to go back to the factory no less than 3 times. It cost me

LOL I have computer problems, my mom uses my comp too and she's one of those who can't wear watches...even the wind-up kind. I'm not quite as bad as her, but I did manage to freeze three Macs in 10 minutes...a pretty impressive record if you ask me.

Laptops overheat when I use them and are frightfully slow.

I really don't use mine for much either. (It's 94% free space.) Internet, mostly, and artwork. That's pretty much it. I occasionally burn CD's, and use the word processor. For some reason, I keep blowing hard drives.

Have you ever checked for dust inside the case? Do you keep the computer in an enclosed space? The most likely sources of problems are software and dust/cooling issues. Blowing your hard drive is difficult to 'do' during normal use.

A system restore should be an absolute last resort.

We have a Dell with Millennium and Adaptec. We no longer can 'format' a disc. Any help?

What kind of disc?

I'll take the case apart at some point and look for dust. I think I have some "canned air" upstairs. My house isn't that dusty, and my computer isn't in an enclosed space, but the computer *is* right near the front door, so it probably gets more dust than most things.

I really was pretty desperate when I tried to do a full restore, and the fact that it didn't *work* well...yea...that's a little odd.

and I use Windows 2000.

That's why you have few problems. Windows 2k is, IMHO, the best OS ever made. I wouldn't even use crappy XP if 2k could run Age of Empires 3.

I would agree, JR. I use 2K at work, and when all the other consultants had their secretaries' PCs updated to XP Pro, my boss refused to have our 2K taken off. It is an amazingly stable OS, but as you say, perhaps not that suitable for gaming.

and I use Windows 2000.

That's why you have few problems. Windows 2k is, IMHO, the best OS ever made. I wouldn't even use crappy XP if 2k could run Age of Empires 3.

I would agree, JR. I use 2K at work, and when all the other consultants had their secretaries' PCs updated to XP Pro, my boss refused to have our 2K taken off. It is an amazingly stable OS, but as you say, perhaps not that suitable for gaming.

Hahah! Yes! I love 2k! I have all sorts of games on here, Call of Duty, Rome Total War, Half-Life 2... ect et al. However, new games like Oblivion and Midieval Total War 2 aren't compatable with 2k, which makes me cry inside. However, yeah, I never have problems.

CD-RW.

What software do you use with the CD-RW?

I just wish that there was something available now besides Vista. It's incompatible with practically *everything* out there, including my blog.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_attrib....ws+xp+home/rd=1

Also, a lot of online retailers have XP computers still in stock.

Ubuntu Linux is free :whistling:

My computer froze again, but it's running fine now. I wish I knew if it was going to give it up before two months is over, so I have a chance of getting the right kind of compy (which I probably won't when I *really* need it, though I don't have spare cash just lying around for a comp that I don't need)