UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Medical consultation

ASCLEPIADES

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A hint of diabetes and also "the stone" ? I assume the latter is a suggestion of some blood coming through :hammer:

Nope :hammer:

Here comes AC Celsus' unedited quotation:

( De Medicina, Liber I, Ch. II, sec. IV):

"Scire autem licet integrum corpus esse, quo die mane urina alba, dein rufa est: illud concoquere, hoc concoxisse significat."

"He can tell that his body is sound, if his morning urine is whitish, later reddish; the former indicates that digestion is going on, the latter that digestion is complete. "

sigh :hammer:

I should have said "If you are an old fat voluptuary"

Go on try another!

This one also comes from ACC, but it's harder:

"Neque tamen alius inportunior acutiorque morbus est, quam is, qui quodam rigore nervorum modo caput scapulis, modo mentum pectori adnectit, modo rectam et inmobilem cervicem intendit... Ea saepe intra quartum diem tollunt: si hunc evaserunt, sine periculum sunt."

"There is, however, no disease more distressing, and more acute, than that which by a sort of rigor of the sinews, now draws down the head to the shoulder-blades, now the chin to the chest, now stretches out the neck straight and immobile. These diseases are often fatal within four days. If the patients survive this period, they are no longer in danger."

:hammer:

Hmm , peanut allergy anaphylaxis? Sorry I couldn't resist.

Is there some form of toxic shock here or convulsive/seizure like event?

also I promise to let someone else have a go next.Especially as im doing so badly.

No question about it L_W, it's Tetanus.

:lol:

Ave, GO! You're right indeed! Congratulations.

This is the unedited English quotation of AC Celsus De Medicina, Liber IV, CH. VI, sec. I:

"From the head we pass to the neck, which is liable to harm from diseases of considerable gravity. There is, however, no disease more distressing, and more acute, than that which by a sort of rigor of the sinews, now draws down the head to the shoulder-blades, now the chin to the chest, now stretches out the neck straight and immobile. The Greeks call the first opisthotonus, the next emprosthotonus, and the last tetanus, although some with less exactitude use these terms indiscriminately. These diseases are often fatal within four days."

Your turn!

I can't quote an ancient physician, since I'm smashed. Try this: Standing up and suddenly fainting.

Obviously , hallucinating from too much cheese and bagels.

Let try this one, also from ACC:

What disease is this treatment for?:

"... quod ex subita causa etsi... primam curationem habet, qua sanguis mittatur. ... satiusque est abstinere a cibo; si fieri potest, etiam potione; si non potest, aquam bibere. ..., alvum ducere, sternumenta evocare, nihil adsumere nisi aquam.... Si vero in his auxilii parum est, tonderi oportet ad cutem;. "

"Of these the case that is acute,... has its primary remedy in blood-letting... and it is better to abstain from food; also from drink, when possible; if not possible, then to drink water. ... the bowels should be clystered, sneezing provoked, and nothing but water taken. . But if there is little benefit from the above, the head should be shaved down to the scalp"

Let try this one, also from ACC:

What disease is this treatment for?:

"... quod ex subita causa etsi... primam curationem habet, qua sanguis mittatur. ... satiusque est abstinere a cibo; si fieri potest, etiam potione; si non potest, aquam bibere. ..., alvum ducere, sternumenta evocare, nihil adsumere nisi aquam.... Si vero in his auxilii parum est, tonderi oportet ad cutem;. "

"Of these the case that is acute,... has its primary remedy in blood-letting... and it is better to abstain from food; also from drink, when possible; if not possible, then to drink water. ... the bowels should be clystered, sneezing provoked, and nothing but water taken. . But if there is little benefit from the above, the head should be shaved down to the scalp"

Hold up your ponies Tonto! You didn't get mine. Lady L_W got tetanus also! Await your turn! :lol::angry:

Anyway, yours is definitely paniletitis.

---0---

My Lord of the Herbs and L_W - knope. :no2::P

Edited by Gaius Octavius