UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Medical consultation

ASCLEPIADES

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gaius - I'm lost here! Have you said that Lost Warrior was NOT right with vertigo? There are several differential diagnoses for the symptoms you posted, though.

1) Postural hypotension

2) Meniere's Disease

3) Vasovagal attacks

But I'd go with the first, if I had to plump for one. But please ignore me if Lost Warrior was correct with her vertigo - and we will await her turn.

Well, if you mean an alternative (wrong) writing of "pan-ileitis" (Inflammation of the ileum), your answer is wrong. :P

Oh! dear! What the god-Consul must endure! The Pater Arcanae wrote what he meant (properly ;) ), and meant what he wrote! :hammer:

:ph34r:

Gaius - I'm lost here! Have you said that Lost Warrior was NOT right with vertigo? There are several differential diagnoses for the symptoms you posted, though.

1) Postural hypotension

2) Meniere's Disease

3) Vasovagal attacks

But I'd go with the first, if I had to plump for one. But please ignore me if Lost Warrior was correct with her vertigo - and we will await her turn.

My Lady Sophia of the North:

My Lord of the Weed's flotsam was off the mark. L_W was close. You may have it in #1 as your quacks may call it that. But since a certain party, who shall remain unnamed, Asclepiades, disfructed the proper sequence, I'll give you the answer. We, here in the Colonies, call it 'orthostatic hypotension'.

:hammer:

1) Postural hypotension

2) Meniere's Disease

3) Vasovagal attacks

Salve, Lady A!

OK, let's try to get this straight: GO question was "Try this: Standing up and suddenly fainting".

"Fainting" is a non-specific non-clinical term more or less related with "syncope" (An abrupt, usually brief loss of consciousness), although this last term usually implies the mechanism (generalized cerebral ischemia).

"Postural syncope" is a reasonable clinical depiction of GO question; "Postural" or "orthostatic hypotension" is a very likely explanation, requiring for its confirmation the evidence of a reproducible blood pressure drop of at least 20 mm Hg if it's the systolic measure or 10 mm Hg if it's the diastolic, after standing up abruptly from a lying position.

"Vertigo" is the subjective sensation (illusion) of rotation or movement of one's self, as when you get down from an amusement ride.

Here is a nice free online medical dictionary.

Well, if you mean an alternative (wrong) writing of "pan-ileitis" (Inflammation of the ileum), your answer is wrong. :P

Oh! dear! What the god-Consul must endure! The Pater Arcanae wrote what he meant (properly ;) ), and meant what he wrote! :ph34r:

:angry:

Salve, Kemo Sabay!

While we wait to Lady A's contribution, I think we will harm nobody if we check the answer of my previous post :)

Here comes Aulus Cornelius Celsus, De Medicina, Liber IV, Ch. II, sec. IV-V:

"For pain in the head ... Of these the case that is acute, also that which surpasses ordinary limits, and that which is of sudden causation and although not deadly, is yet violent, has its primary remedy in blood-letting. But this measure is unnecessary, unless the pain is intolerable, and it is better to abstain from food; also from drink, when possible; if not possible, then to drink water. If, on the day following, pain persists, the bowels should be clystered, sneezing provoked, and nothing but water taken. For often, in this way, all the pain is dispersed within one or two days, especially if it has originated from wine of indigestion. But if there is little benefit from the above, the head should be shaved down to the scalp; then it should be considered what cause excited the pain."

Don't try this at home, kids! :P

Migraines?

("Have two blood-lettings and call me in the morning.")

Edited by G-Manicus

Salve, amici!

This is another pearl from our always prudent friend AAC; what is the next prescription intended for?

": by hot water if one bathes in it and especially if salt; by the bath on an empty stomach, by a scorching sun, by heat of all kinds, by worry, by late nights; by sleep unduly short or overlong, by a hard bed throughout the summer; by running or much walking or any violent exercise; by a vomit, by purgation, by sour and harsh things consumed; by a single meal a day; by the custom of drinking wine not too cold upon an empty stomach."

Cheers and good luck!