UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Medical consultation

ASCLEPIADES

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Salve, Amici!

In fact, this is part of a Roman Weight-Watchers program during the Augustean age;

Here comes Aulus Cornelius Celsus, De Medicina, Libri I, Ch. III, sec. XIV-XVI:

"So then a thin man ought to fatten himself up, a stout one to thin himself down;... The body is thinned: by hot water if one bathes in it and especially if salt; by the bath on an empty stomach, by a scorching sun, by heat of all kinds, by worry, by late nights; by sleep unduly short or overlong, by a hard bed throughout the summer; by running or much walking or any violent exercise; by a vomit, by purgation, by sour and harsh things consumed; by a single meal a day; by the custom of drinking wine not too cold upon an empty stomach."

Once again, please don't try this at home, kids. ;)

Now, this one will be probably easier;

What is this other recipe for?

" by moderate exercise, by oftener resting, by anointing, and by the bath if after a meal at midday;

by the bowels being confined, by winter cold in moderation, by sleep adequate but not over long, by a soft couch, by a tranquil spirit, by food whether solid or fluid which is sweet and fatty;

by meals rather frequent and as large as it is possible to digest."

Now, this one will be probably easier;

What is this other recipe for?

" by moderate exercise, by oftener resting, by anointing, and by the bath if after a meal at midday;

by the bowels being confined, by winter cold in moderation, by sleep adequate but not over long, by a soft couch, by a tranquil spirit, by food whether solid or fluid which is sweet and fatty;

by meals rather frequent and as large as it is possible to digest."

A:

I'll go with "So then a thin man ought to fatten himself up ...".

;)

G

A: I'll go with "So then a thin man ought to fatten himself up ...".

:)

G

Salve, GM!

Yessir, you're perfectly right.

This is the other side of the Augustean Weight-Watchers program.

Here comes Aulus Cornelius Celsus, De Medicina, Libri I, Ch. III, sec. XIV-XV:

"Tenuis vero homo inplere se debet, plenus extenuare; calidus refrigerare, frigidus calefacere; madens siccare, siccus madefacere; itemque alvum firmare is, cui fusa, solvere is, cui adstricta est: succurrendumque semper parti maxime laboranti est.

Implet autem corpus modica exercitatio, frequentior quies, unctio et, si post prandium est, balineum; contracta alvus, modicum frigus hieme, somnus et plenus et non nimis longus, molle cubile, animi securitas, adsumpta per cibos et potiones maxime dulcia et pinguia; cibus et frequentior et quantus plenissimus potest concoqui."

"So then a thin man ought to fatten himself up, a stout one to thin himself down; a hot man to cool himself, a cold man to make himself warmer; the moist to dry himself up, the dry to moisten himself; he should render firmer his motions if loose, relax them if costive; treatment is to be always directed to the part which is mostly in trouble.

Now the body is fattened: by moderate exercise, by oftener resting, by anointing, and by the bath if after a meal at midday; by the bowels being confined, by winter cold in moderation, by sleep adequate but not over long, by a soft couch, by a tranquil spirit, by food whether solid or fluid which is sweet and fatty; by meals rather frequent and as large as it is possible to digest."

Like Taoism, Hippocratic medicine was mostly about getting the right balance.

Thanks, A.

Let me try my hand and give you a chance here:

"Then after twenty-one days, by which time ... (it) formed a firm union, a fuller diet is to be administered in order to fatten the body as much as possible, so as to cover ... (it) better, for ... (it) there whilst still tender is liable to injury owing to the thinness of the skin. But during the whole course of recovery the patient muting or even straining the voice, noise, anger, violent bodily movements, smoke, dust, and anything that causes a cough or sneeze; it is not even advisable to hold the breath for long."

Dr. G

Edited by G-Manicus

G: I'd have to guess a broken bone somewhere. Broken ribs?

Lost Warrior is the ...

23446830.jpg

Hangover.

Rx: The hair of the dog that bit you.