UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

What if Rome invented the internet.

WotWotius

This would make a great annoying avatar for someone...

fatromankid.gif

"I got it! I got it! I got it! I got it!"

-- Nephele

What If: (one answer ~ I'm embarassed to treat a subject intended to be a light one by the poster so seriously, but the solution to the succession problem had been occupying my mind)

The underlying problem of Rome, it seems to this observer, was the problem of succession, with all of its derivatives. The inability of Rome to cope with the succession problem led to perhaps 50 years of civil wars in the 3rd century A.D. This led in turn to military dominance in the system of government, and finally to (temporarily) successful emperors like Diocletian and his scheme for succession (which finally yielded a Constantine).

This was partly because military solutions have the advantage of immediacy and irrefutable force in their application.

Preceeding those 50 years were almost 200 years of peace in the Roman world, one of Rome

Edited by Faustus

That thread is right up my alley ...

1408814814_c412a5b14a.jpg

That thread is right up my alley ...

It is! What a shame it says "This challenge is now closed." Our G-Man could've done some fine UNRV rep for us over there (and mopped up the arena with them, too).

-- Nephele

The romans were good communicators. The internet would at first have been used as a tool for the military and administration, the two most obvious uses. Quickly however, the wealthy would have demanded those privileges to keep their social lives up to date. The common people? Haven't they got more important things to do? After the workplaces realise their staff are off enjoying themselves on the net I'm sure a Lex Internetio would state that no man of less than 20,000 sestercii worth would be allowed access. Given the roman penchant for cheating, of course there would have been cheats who got permission to log on nonetheless, and some household slaves trusted to use the internet on their masters behalf would no doubt enjoy a little private time for themselves. Imagine Nero using the internet! Gladiators, boxers, and charioteers would have fanpages, there would be websites devoted to military history and current affairs, with recruitment going directly to the user....

================================================

To: Dullix@batavianfamilies.com

Sent: 1st Germanicus, 779

Dear Dullix.

Have you cheered for Rome? Have you longed to share our military glory? Then why not apply to the Legions now! Serve your emperor and earn citizenship! See the world! Play with swords! Apply now, while vacancies exist. We want you!

========================================================

Or perhaps this?...

To: frixus@wesellslaves.rome

Sent: 1st Germanicus, 779

Dear Frixus.

Please supply as many buxsome wenches as you can find for my party tomorrow at agreed rates. Please don't mention to wife.