UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Favorite literature--fiction

docoflove1974

Perhaps the Powers-That-Be wish to move some of the posts on the Don Quixote thread here...which would suit me fine. But we were starting to tangent off of the topic...and brought up an interesting topic in and of itself: Favorite literature. Yes, this is fiction-related.

As for me, the list isn't nearly as long as it probably should be...but years of research burned me out for a while. The concept of reading 'for pleasure' (aka not for research) was headache-inducing. But, now that I have more free time, as well as a self-imposed pace, I'm reading more and more. So, just for kicks and grins...let's discuss!

Among my favorites are many, many classics--all of which should be read by the time one graduates from college:

[*]Don Quixote--I read it in Spanish, but there are various English (and other) translations which are very good.

[*]La Divina Commedia--same as DQ, in that I read it in Italian, but there are some very good translations, even online!

[*]The Decameron--sadly, I've only read this in English, but I do wish to read it in Italian.

[*]The Miracles of Our Lady--I've read the Castilian ones (Milagros de Nuestra Se

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does 'The Prince' by Machiavelli count as literature, or is it philosophy? I have read this several times and find it very captivating. I have also read Orwell's 1984 many, many times.

Does 'The Prince' by Machiavelli count as literature, or is it philosophy? I have read this several times and find it very captivating. I have also read Orwell's 1984 many, many times.

Well, in this thread it's only fiction, so I didn't put it on my list. I put it under literature/non-fiction; it's really a treatise and 'book of council' by Machiavelli, and is one that also must be studied by all students.

I can see myself in that fiction head-ace place too Doc. Not counting the summer holidays, it's almost 2 years since I read anything but what could be useful for my education.

Anyway among the favorites are:

Isaac Asimov

Tolkien

Con Iggulden

Jules Verne

Anyway I will now have to pick up my sister at the bus, I will be back for more later.

Edited by Klingan

British lit for the most part, everything from Shakespeare's plays to Orwell.

My all time favorite novel though has to be "Brothers Karamazov" by Dostoevsky. Not that I agreed with the writer's Slavophile beliefs, but as far as penetration of psychology and spirituality its one of the best books out there.

Nikolai Gogol is barely known in the West but has written some of the most droll novels around. And Turgenev's "Fathers and Sons" is a true classic as well.

Ave

I still think Dickens is incomparable. To me each one of his classics has special memories. I do like Hardy, Bronte, Lawrence and others, but Dickens to me is the standard with which I measure other classic fiction.

On the poetry side I like Tennyson and Shakespeare.

I mainly lean to classics - Hardy remains a part of my soul, as does Austen (Pride and Prejudice stands to be read again and again). I enjoy the Brontes, although I do find a thread of neurosis in most of their work. I also adore George Eliot and her Adam Bede is, IMHO, one of the great underestimated achievements of English literature. E.M. Forster ranks quite high with me too. As for Dickens - his characterisation is pure genius - and no matter how many times I read A Tale of Two Cities I still cry when Sydney mounts that scaffold!

For modern authors, Renault cannot be surpassed for me in historical fiction terms; I'm sorry but there is no one to touch her, although when Manda Scott learns to trim her prose she may approach that holy altar. I also enjoy playwrights such as Alan Bennett and the Irish playwright Martin McDonogh.

For poetry, I am hopelessly in love with the Romantics, and have always expressed a wish that my leather-bound Shelley be buried with me!

For modern authors, Renault cannot be surpassed for me in historical fiction terms; I'm sorry but there is no one to touch her, although when Manda Scott learns to trim her prose she may approach that holy altar.

I would say that Donna Gillespie has that title. I think that Scott writes great, but Gillespie is a great writer - for me, she's the natural successor to Mary Renault. Of course, it's all about opinion, but the Light Bearer and Lady of the Light are modern classics - for me, that term is bandied about too often, but with Gillespie its deserved.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Manda Scott but Gillespie's writing transcends anything I've ever read. I feel that her work will be more appreciated as time goes on. Her biggest "fault" is that her output is slow, but I guess genius takes time! Put it this way, if you read her user comments on amazon, you'll find more than one person saying that the works changed their lives. I've not put that comment on there, but it is true for me too.

I can't recommend her work highly enough.

Cheers

Russ

and no matter how many times I read A Tale of Two Cities I still cry when Sydney mounts that scaffold!

I feel the same way about Fagin awaiting death in his cell.

In fiction I'm mostly reading the Disc World serie by Terry Pratchett.

That goes for me - they really are superb reading!!

Anyway among the favorites are:

Isaac Asimov

Tolkien

Con Iggulden

Jules Verne

Anyway I will now have to pick up my sister at the bus, I will be back for more later.

If you like Tolkien, chances are you'll like Pratchett!!

Some short stories to go to sleep with a smile on your face. "Don Camillo" (Don Camallo), the priest with three nostrils and his encounters with a communist mayor in 1940's Italy. By Giovanni Guareschi.

Wow! I've found someone else who enjoys the Don Camillo stories! My absolute favorite (and I can't remember the title, it was so long ago) was the one about the hunting dog that was absolutely useless at hunting. And Peppone the mayor was going to have his henchman kill the dog. But Don Camillo saved the dog. (This was actually a very funny story, despite the way it sounds.) I've got to dig out those stories again and read them, now that you've reminded me of them. Wonderful, wonderful stories of humanity.

And, while I'm at it... Damon Runyon rules.

-- Nephele