UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Euro 2008

Viggen

So, just two more weeks (plus a couple of days) and Europe is going crazy, the soccer championships are coming....

Happy that austria is hosting (or we wouldnt be there anyway), and actually be part of it, so let the discussion begin, who is your favourite, who will be the surprise?

cheers

viggen

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no ideea about a favorite but Romania's group it's a killer. It will be amazing if we go past that. So amazing that a retailer has an offer on LCD's that if Romania reach the final they give back the money. I've never seen before an offer that is a bet.

As England are not in it this time ( 'Here we stay, here we stay, here we stay!') I will be supporting France, the country of my forebears - well, half of them!

GLI AZZURRI!!!! (Because if not, I will not receive my citizenship...or something like that...)

Yes, when there is an international tournament I have a momentary superficial interest in the sport we call football (soccer). At least the players do actually come from the places they play for (apart from Ireland, which is the England B team and France, which award citizenship to talented players from former African colonies). I have no interest at all in club football, played as it is by bands of foreign mercenaries.

Edited by Northern Neil

I'm absolutely gutted England failed to Qualify for the Euro's this year, there's nothing better than watching your team compete against the best in the world or in this case Europe, it's going to be a pretty depressing month this time round for England fans, having said that I'll still watch as much of it as I can.

I think Spain could win it this year, they've got such a young talented team, they have a history of bottling it in the major tournaments but with the quality they have this year they could well fulfil their potential.

I'm absolutely gutted England failed to Qualify for the Euro's this year, there's nothing better than watching your team compete against the best in the world or in this case Europe, it's going to be a pretty depressing month this time round for England fans, having said that I'll still watch as much of it as I can.

Chin up - at least we're in Eurovision...

Sweden of course! However, we will not stand a chance in our group (Russia, Spain and Greece). I think the Swedish team has done very well in qualifying again (we haven't missed qualifying for a championship in ten years). We have a population of 9 millions...

mmm, Spain always starts this kind of competitions (euros, worlds) as favourite...but then we never pass from quarters of final (in english?)ahahahah. Let's see this year, is going to be an interrogant how the team is going to react without the presence of its capitain during the past years, Ra

Yes, when there is an international tournament I have a momentary superficial interest in the sport we call football (soccer). At least the players do actually come from the places they play for (apart from Ireland, which is the England B team and France, which award citizenship to talented players from former African colonies). I have no interest at all in club football, played as it is by bands of foreign mercenaries.

Try supporting a team not in the Premiership! I'm a Burnley fan and we only have a couple of non-British players in our team - simply because we can't afford them! As for who I'm going to support, in the best 'British' tradition I'll be supporting the team that's least likely to win!!

Are San Marino in the finals this year?? :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

Forza azzurri, of course =).

I have no ideea about a favorite but Romania's group it's a killer. It will be amazing if we go past that. So amazing that a retailer has an offer on LCD's that if Romania reach the final they give back the money. I've never seen before an offer that is a bet.

They did the same thing in Italy for the world championship, because they thought Italy would not stand a chance...well, they are bankrupt now XD.

Everyone here is still bitter for the Euro 2000 final with France :P

Everyone here is still bitter for the Euro 2000 final with France :P

My chosen avatar for the duration of the Championships will show you that I too am one of the tifosi, Silentum. And, yes, bitterness still abounds about 2000 and that damned Golden Goal. However, it's not quite as bad as the bitterness of the 2002 Mondiale and South Korea! I will never, ever, forgive them, or that damned referee!

I think that now Canna has been lost to injury, we have something to fight for, and I can see us winning this. Before Fabio's injury my money would have been on Germany, to be honest.

Beh - speremo.... FORZA AZZURRI

I wont really be supporting anyone this year, but like most here I do have a soft spot for the Italians for the obvious reasons so I'll definitely keep an eye on their progress. I tipped Spain to win it in an earlier post and still stand by it but the dark horses for the tournament are Croatia, they're solid in every department and are very hard to beat which England found out the hard way! :P

I wont really be supporting anyone this year, but like most here I do have a soft spot for the Italians for the obvious reasons so I'll definitely keep an eye on their progress. I tipped Spain to win it in an earlier post and still stand by it but the dark horses for the tournament are Croatia, they're solid in every department and are very hard to beat which England found out the hard way! :(

Yes, GPM - Croatia are one of those horrible sides - like Bolton - that cause upsets and play some ugly stuff sometimes - although I concede, they have improved over the years. I would agree that they are a dark horse. But will someone please - in the name of all thats aesthetically holy! - give them a new strip? They must win hands down for the ugliest bloody strip in the world.

Nice to hear an English footy fan has a soft spot for the Azzurri - they are usually reviled beyond all decency in the Press and by our so-called experts in the studio. 'Too defensive' - 'actors' - 'diving about all over the place'. So what do England do? Appoint an Italian manager. And when Don Fabio has England playing all defensive and perhaps winning a World Cup - wow - won't we see the hypocrisy abound.

Actually, I've supported Italy in Internationals since the 1970 World Cup and I have to say it will be a joy to have a tournament without the hype from the English Press about the Three Lions. However, I am going to make a tally chart for how many times England are going to be mentioned on British TV in a tournament they're not even playing! ;) It started already last week when Sky interviewed Liverpool's Kuyt. 'What do you think about there being no England in this tournament, Dirk?' By all the gods! Dirk had to be sweet about it, but he probably really wanted to say: 'I'm Dutch - do you think I give a toss?'