UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Which edition of Plutarch?

Jauchart

The Penguin Classics, translated by Ian Scott Kilvert (The Makers of Rome) and Rex Warner (The Fall of the Roman Republic) are still on my shelves, and I've never found the need to go elsewhere. Others may have other opinions, of course. Both are still available from Amazon. These do include his parallel 'Lives' with Greek counterparts to the Roman statesmen. They are cheap, readily available and reliable. I'd go for these.

Edited by The Augusta

I have the Oxford World Classics 'Plutarch Roman Lives' which is widely available, not expensive and a very accessible translation.

There are a few on line sources for Plutarch and indeed many of the classical historians. Have a look at the site below. There's a full set of the 'Lives of Noble Greeks and Romans'.

http://www.bostonleadershipbuilders.com/plutarch/index.htm

Which edition of Plutarch's Lives (in English) is considered the most reliable by scholars today? Is the Modern Library Dryden/Clough edition considered acceptible (which I happen to have easy access to)?

Thanks

Nothing seems to capture the truly dusty and fuddy-duddy feel of Plutarch more than Dryden. I have both the Penguin editions and the Dryden edition (I managed to purchase a copy of all the Parallel Lives for under

WW, which translation of Plutarch do you like?

Both the Ian Scott Kilvert and the Rex Warner Penguin translations I find to be better than the Dryden edition. Then again, I must say that I do rather like Dryden's translation of the Aeneid; it is quite fresh, considering it was translated in the seventeenth century.

I have never had any need to find a genuinely good version of Plutarch, yet, but a general recommendation that I always follow is to use many different translations. This will enable you too see were they differ and where you need to take a closer look at the passages. (This method is of course not recommended if you're reading it cover to cover.)