UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Rome Vs Han China

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on doesn't anybody wanna play around with this one?

I know this forum is only young but you should reply and contribute as much as you can to increase its growth. Rome wasn't built in a day but it got there eventually through ambition and perseverence. Maybe this link to the chinese history forum on the same topic will give you some inspiration.

chinese history forum

These guys recon China would win due to: numbers, crossbow, cavalry etc..

One of the post said that the Roman empires pop was only 7 million compared to China's 50 odd million.

I learnt from this forum that it was actually much larger. I suggest you check the CHF out, theres about 4 pages of pro Han stuff that you might find biased. I also want to know wether it is biased. Im taking info from both forums to get an unbiased picture, but so far, China is kickin your ass due to the lack of info on your side.

Come on doesn't anybody wanna play around with this one?

I know this forum is only young but you should reply and contribute as much as you can to increase its growth.

Well, I think a lot of us are doing what we can, thanks. :(

To be blunt, there already seems to be a preponderance in this forum on the Roman military, and on battles real or hypothetical. IMHO, the "my empire can beat up your empire" line of discussion is getting a bit hackneyed.

While I think the Romans were more organized and disciplined, and faced a wider array of opponents, I don't have enough of an education regarding the Han military to provide a worthy opinion. (In fact most people on the net have only a passing knowledge of either, few would be considered experts on both). The time frame, commanders, terrain and makeup of the armies is also important to consider, logistics notwithstanding.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i could argue for the Romans, but it would be too disrespectful towards the Chinese. :)

Might i ask how a full scale war could be fought if you didnt have logistics? I always thought that "full scale war" meant the disruption of trade, supply routes, a long with the orthodox-style battles.

Im taking info from both forums to get an unbiased picture, but so far, China is kickin your *** due to the lack of info on your side.

Replying to the above quote, the members of this forum dont need to prove anything to you that Rome could defeat the Han Dynasty in war, if you want information, check out this site. Its full of information that could help you determine your biased outcome.

Furthermore... i dont know how the Chinese fought war at this time, nor is it of much intrest to me...

'the members of this forum dont need to prove anything to you that Rome could defeat the Han Dynasty in war'

I know they don't need to, I'm just asking. Anyway, I suppose its a topic of more interest to those in the Chinese History Forum because, in this western dominated world, Rome and the like seem to always be the greatest at everything. You only have to watch the history channel's documenturies to see a bit of this.

Guest Legionarius

My bet will be with the Romans (after the marian reforms). From what I've heard, the Han military was based on conscripts. Then again, I got that from wikipedia, and a free editable online resource isn't the most reliable.

Guest dieharddynasty

If it was during the period of Caeser than it would probably be the Romans, but otherwise it would definitely be the chinese because of their legendary warriors, superior tactics and phenominal fighting skill.

but otherwise it would definitely be the chinese because of their legendary warriors, superior tactics and phenominal fighting skill.

Okay, _usually_ a single warrior wouldnt be that big of a factor in a battle... There are some exceptions, Manfred von Richthoven, a.k.a. the Red Baron for one...

I want you to tell me what tactics the Chinese used that would possibly be efficient against the Romans...

Saying the Chinese have phenominal fighting skills seems kind of biased. :)

but otherwise it would definitely be the chinese because of their legendary warriors, superior tactics and phenominal fighting skill.

I think that this is a little untrue and extravagant. More facts would be useful.

Fafnir, I recommend you check out the Chinese history forum where they give there opinions on this same subject (han vs Rome). Some of the advantages they say the Chinese have are: Better metal, crossbows, numbers, more fluid -some describe it as more modern- battle formations as apposed to formations like the phalanx. Also cavalry with stirrups gets mentioned. Have a look yourself.

Chinese history forum

China Would win through Sheer weight of numbers. they could afford to lose 1 Million men in the war without too much economic hardship wheras a war on that scale would Cripple rome.