UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Worst Historical Movie Of All Time

What historical movie do you think did the worst job with historical accuracy. My pick is Troy. No Cassandra- or i might have missed it- Agamemnon killed by Achilles woman not by Clymenestra and his cousin, Ajax killed by Hector and not by suicide after realizing a rage he had gone into after losing rights to Achilles gear to Odysseus, and Menelaus being killed by Hector when Homer has Telemachus meeting him in Sparta with Helen by his side in the Odyssey.

Troy, without a doubt. About half an hour into the movie, after Achilles had lobbed off the head of a statue of what was supposed to be APollo, I turned off the DVD and never went back.

I though the cheesy and woefully inaccurate 1970's movie "Clash of the Titans" was a better stab at Greek mythology than "Troy" ...

Troy was nothing but a show piece for Pitt's abs. C'mon at the end there how the hell did Paris not know who Aeneas was, Aeneas was a prince of Troy! That movie was crap crap more suited to the gnere of the Scorpian King than an epic, crap they might as well have added Arnold as Zeus!

I would suggest watching it, and if you actually watch it for a movie (um, which it is) you'll find out it's much better than these people suggest. It's akin to the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Sure, it's not where near the book, not even close, but to say it's a bad movie merely because it's not the book says something. One cannot be another, and no movie is like the book. You're comparing apples and oranges here. I know the faults in the script, but to suggest murder for making such an epic alive? Come on people, get off it. :angry:

Troy sucks,but i did like the fight scene with achilles and hector,there was some fine spear work.LOL

Im gonna say King Arthur,still cant believe how bad that movie is.L

you'll find out it's much better than these people suggest................ I know the faults in the script, but to suggest murder for making such an epic alive? Come on people, get off it.

Valerius, you gotta be kidding me. Seriously there are no words that do justice to what a complete disaster that movie was. They chickened out of rounding out the characters or the dialogue but inexplicably felt free to completely butcher the story.:lol: It is the precise opposite of what needed to be done. I still can't quite get over what a complete balls they made of it. They had a huge wad of money and one of the greatest stories ever told to work with - and they managed to make it almost unwatchable. Its insane. All they had to do was tell the story as it is and take a few liberties wuth the dialogue and thats it - instant classic. Instead we get one of the very worst movies ever made, a crime, a tragedy, a disgrace.....its all of these and more. In short then Valerius, I dissagree with you slightly ;)

But the whole purpose of the story was not to retell the Iliad, but to give what could have been a historical account of what have happened

Well, sure the scope of the movie is the entire Trojan War rather than just the Iliad, but the bones of it is based on Homer. Which they proceeded to randomly destroy. There is no alternative historical evidence pointing to Menalaus dying in Troy for example. Its just butchered Homer. There is no attempt to write a historical account or anything like it.

Are you suggesting that Homer actually wrote history? I think not.

I don't mean to be rude but what are you talking about? I never even alluded to anything approaching that. Homer wrote a great and important epic tale, probably based on Greek history as he knew it. How is making a mutilated version of this with arbitrary changes and ommisions a historical acount ?

They are using Homers characters and retelling his tale of the Trojan War, and they made a complete hash of it because they took ridiculous liberties with one of history's greatest works. Simple as that.

I must say though I do kind of see what you were getting at in your first post though. If you meant simply watching the movie on its merits instead of comparing it to what we think it should be well then thats a good point, strangley enough that is exactly the tactic I have been using lately in order to enjoy the latest rush of historical epics. And it has worked pretty well for me. I found it impossible with Troy though because it is complete irredeemable rubbish. In my opinion of course ;)

*edit* Oh by the way I didn't mean to jump all over you when you were just trying to bring a bit of sanity to the torrent of abuse directed at the film. I'm all tired and cranky today :lol:

What historical movie do you think did the worst job with historical accuracy. 

In the past ten or so years:

Ancient/Medieval- Troy, Alexander, Gladiator, Braveheart, Arthur

American Revolutionary/Civil War - The Patriot, Cold Harbor

WWII- Pearl Harbor, Enemy at the Gates, U-571

Out of all that rubbish, I would have to agree that Troy is near the bottom of the heap, but Pearl is the worst...IMHO.