UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

History Falcifications

longbow

Hi,does anyone have any history falcifications that really annoy you?i have very long list but heres one for now.

example

L

hmm...i dont know about that one.

what bugs me: "alchemy is a medieval pseudoscience the objective of which with the transformation of base metals into gold" (found in most school history texts and only very slightly true. leaves a lot out and there is really nothing one can do but misinterpret it)

Yeah its a dodgy one but i thought it might provoke some responces, heres a list of all the flyers who have some claim to be the first = List

L

• 2 weeks later...

Yes - 'They all laughed at Christopher Columbus when he said the world was round' (Frank Sinatra). No: they had re adopted the idea the world was round at least 200 years before Columbus. What they actully said was, that no ship of that era was capable of sailing all the way to China via the western route. And they were right.

Sticking with the Roman theme mine would be: 'Constantine made Christianity the official religion of the Roman empire'

Though its not so much a terrible falsehood as it is a misnomer or bastardization.

Yeah, but he did sanction it though. He wasn't stupid enough to try and force it onto the consulate and the population as a whole, but the benefits he afforded to converts made it very attractive, and his official stamp of approval made mass conversion possible.

• 3 weeks later...

I think rather more inventions have been credited to Edison than he actually personally invented. He took out patents on things which were on the verge of being invented, and when someone finally invented it, he took the credit because he had the patent. For example: I believe that a French guy invented cinematography, but Edison got the credit because he took out a patent on a 'moving picture camera' which anyone with any sense must have forseen being invented sometime in the late 1800's.

Any one who sauys that is an idiot and i think shoulnd not talk about things the dont know

one thing i cant stand is when i tell people how i study rome they say they like the greeks for there gladiators i cant stand it when the stupid pediphile greeks get credit for roman things. the only thing i give greece an ounce of apreciation for is letting us prepare food in them lol