UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

What Are People On This Site

i am expressing myself corectly im saying exactly what i meen to and i do respect the english language just not the enlish systym of writing it kinda dumb i mean periods and quotations are all we need in my opinion. If you think about it you understand what i mean and this isnt a stress to type i do it corectly when i feel i need to not whaen other people do

[i personaly apologize if the way you reads this seem ofensive its not meant to be its just my opinion sory oh ya these are usless to]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you hear someone speak in person there are many non-verbal details that help form your opinion of them. On the net it is all condensed into written words and icons.

Doing a stream of thought post, like a conversation in real time, is fine. But having constant spelling and grammar mistakes has the effect of slurred speach or mumbling in person...it can be irritating unless the communicator has a good reason for doing it (physical impairment, not a native language speaker, etc.). In effect you just said: It is difficult to read my posts because I don't think it's worth the time to make them readable.

I don't think you wanted to give that impression, right?

Okay, that's enough of that.... :D

So, can you throw out one of your basic ideas here we can kick it around with you? Might be fun to talk it out. B)

I freely admit I often run posts to this board through a spell check. Spelling can be a lax habit of mine, especially after a bad day of spending hours in front of my work computer. Sometimes that is what I need to do, so that is exactly what I do.

The goal of communication, after all, is to be understood. You can have profound ideas, but if you fail to communicate them effectively then your ideas are lost in confusion. Anyone who takes the time to read a communication deserves to have something not completely cluttered with typos and bad grammar.

I figure if my posts are too infested with mistakes people will simply start to skip my posts and consider them not worth their time to read. That is what every writer, casual or serious, needs to assume. If I am having a bad day and don't have the time to puzzle together a badly written post, I'll simply skip it. And if I get into a habit of skipping someone's posts I may very well ignore them altogether after a point.

well i say if you ignore my posts it your loss my theries and ideas are heard by all that apreaciate it. and for the record i have a mental reason for my spelling so think about abot things before you say them

*sigh*

This forum is to discuss ancient history, specifically Roman history. We try to keep an informal though still somewhat scholarly atmosphere around here.

We give a little latitude for off topic posts on the "after hours" board, which is a place to relax for the regulars who otherwise engage in meaningful discussion elsewhere in the site. However, lately there has been a rash of posts which have crossed the even lax standards of the site. Particularly on this forum. We aren't blaming any one person. But in the sum of things there has been an upsurge in the types of posts we find irrelevant, or perhaps even annoying, relative to the purpose of this site.

We've tried dealing with this through humor and good natured criticism. It doesn't seem to be working. We therefore have decided certain posts will be simply locked and removed without warning at the discretion of the moderators.

That is how its going to be from now on throughout the site.

On a personal note ....... I'm sorry if some mental condition like dyslexia is the real reason behind your spelling skills. But I strongly suggest trying to cope with it and the here and now, so that when you graduate in six years you can start the real world with as firm a footing as possible. I have some mental baggage as well ... depression and anxiety run in my family, among other things ... but as I've discovered most people really don't care all that much. The world keeps turning an still expects you to turn with it. So if I can offer you the tough love that someone should have offered me a long time ago, learn to deal with it as best you can. Don't let yourself fall into a rut. I speak from experience here. In other words, deal with it.

*sigh*

This forum is to discuss ancient history, specifically Roman history. We try to keep an informal though still somewhat scholarly atmosphere around here.

We give a little latitude for off topic posts on the "after hours" board, which is a place to relax for the regulars who otherwise engage in meaningful discussion elsewhere in the site. However, lately there has been a rash of posts which have crossed the even lax standards of the site. Particularly on this forum. We aren't blaming any one person. But in the sum of things there has been an upsurge in the types of posts we find irrelevant, or perhaps even annoying, relative to the purpose of this site.

We've tried dealing with this through humor and good natured criticism. It doesn't seem to be working. We therefore have decided certain posts will be simply locked and removed without warning at the discretion of the moderators.

I rarely follow or join in the After Hours lounge, but what exactly is it's purpose? I ask because it is apparently the place for off-topic discussions. The forum states very clearly that it is:

"The relaxed place where anything and everything can be talked about".

The site shouldn't state the above and then have threads yanked because someone's tired of them or doesn't like the topic, etc. Perhaps the admin's intentions for the After Hours forum conflicts with the introduction sentence above?

Indeed, that is the intention for this forum. Ursus' post was inspired in part by a brief conversation that the two of us had, expressing concern over the direction of the forum. We don't wish to eliminate friendly discussion, by any stretch, we only want to refocus some intention on the topics of ancient history. :)

Hmmm. Having trouble with some of the forums being fairly quiet while ones like the lounge have a bit more traffic?

Goes with the online community I guess. You moderate it as you will, but I think that you should issue a warning before yanking.

You could also either PM or set another line on peoples profile (visible to the member only naturally) that tells them that they have been a bit outside the boundary and may start having threads closed with just an explanation and no warning.

Just a thought...

Here are the basics: 21 year old college student in Classics (classical languages track), did Muay Thai, now does fencing, smokes too much, and drinks once a week.

*sigh*

On a personal note ....... I'm sorry if some mental condition like dyslexia is the real reason behind your spelling skills. But I strongly suggest trying to cope with it and the here and now, so that when you graduate in six years you can start the real world with as firm a footing as possible. I have some mental baggage as well ... depression and anxiety run in my family, among other things ... but as I've discovered most people really don't care all that much. The world keeps turning an still expects you to turn with it. So if I can offer you the tough love that someone should have offered me a long time ago, learn to deal with it as best you can. Don't let yourself fall into a rut. I speak from experience here. In other words, deal with it.

I would like to apologise if any of my posts have been off the mark. I agree with your sentiments. Being a relatively new member I don't know what past standards were, but I do try and keep my posts relevant and devoid of spam (ok, the ninth legion was not the best legion, but I tend to do most of my historical reading around individuals as opposed to institutions). My first post was also slightly OT, being about body art, but that was what brought me here in the first place, and it was inspired by my love of Imperial Roman history.

As far as spelling and grammar goes, I always do my best. I don't generally resort to a spell checker of thesaurus, but I do try to keep it as accurate as possible and easy to read too. There are always going to be valid reasons for linguistic mistakes (secondary languages, medical conditions etc), but I believe that a lack of respect for this venue is most definately not a valid reason for laxity.

p.s, I have also suffered from depression in the past, which lead to insomnia (a vicious circle). I found that excercise was the best treatment for me. It brings a feeling of self-worth and achievement that few other things can match (in my experience). It has also been proven to increase the flow of endorphins and other feel good hormones to the brain and throughout the body. Consequently I now jog 24km every week, it was the best decision I ever made.

LOL I can't keep Rome away! Even my shrubbery! I planted laurels (sacred to one of the Greek/Roman gods...Apollo I believe). I keep thinking of Rome...I see something on TV and somehow manage to relate it to Rome (not an easy task while watching My Wife and Kids heh)