UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Google Earth

longbow

Did u download google earth?

its amazing you can use satalite imagery to have a look at anywhere on the planet!im gonna have a look for my house,lol.

Google earth is amazing. My location is marked on this thread -

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/viewth...tid=9385&page=1

(Dammekkos2, North East of England).

PRETTEEE!! Seriously, though, I honestly can't figure out how, with all of those maze like things in the Coliseum, it was possible 1) to have enough room for fights and 2) for the audience to see them.

Ummm, you do know that the arena had a floor to it, right? You can see where it has been partly put back on (the white area in the arena).

The maze like spaces were under the arena floor, where holding pens for animals, wait areas for gladiators and whatever else they wanted to pop up into the arena through trap doors and elevators, were preped and readied.

Think of under the stage of any big opera house or old theatre, only on an epic scale.

• 2 months later...

I reckon! I've used it too find my farm, and it really shows it in great detail.

I read somewhere that the images you are seeing on Google earth are pre-recorded and not live. This is so that the satellites being used for the imagery can't be located in orbit. If this is true, then whoever (not mentioning any specific country's name) country's satellite is used for Google Earth must be rather paranoid, or a just not willing for people to know their secrets :D

I reckon! I've used it too find my farm, and it really shows it in great detail.

I read somewhere that the images you are seeing on Google earth are pre-recorded and not live. This is so that the satellites being used for the imagery can't be located in orbit. If this is true, then whoever (not mentioning any specific country's name) country's satellite is used for Google Earth must be rather paranoid, or a just not willing for people to know their secrets :D

Try to zoom in on Washington, DC. You'll notice overlays on the buildings on, in, or near actual government buildings (White House, Capitol Building, Supreme Court, Pentagon, etc.). Those have to be blotted out lest Uncle Sam, some guys in green and some scary lawyers come and Patriot Act your bottom. Foreign location or no... B)

I read somewhere that the images you are seeing on Google earth are pre-recorded and not live.

I noticed! I realized it while looking for a piazza to which several buildings and fountains were added in the last few months and they were not showing up on the image. But Google Earth is still great, I just had a small tour of Sub-Saharian Africa, I wanted to see the villages..and the national geographic specials are always brilliant

Yes, it doesn't matter that it's not live, the pictures are still spectacular.

I wanted to look for some sites that i have pictures of in my National Geographic Book called "Orbit", that has spectacular pics from space. I also found the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul, and some other great sites of antiquity, it's all good :romansoldier: