UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

My Avatar is a picture of a character that i've really gotten into lately; Doctor Who. The picture is of the Sixth Incarnation of the Doctor, acted by Colin Baker.

My signature is a quote from Horace, who's words i greatly admire.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

::smiles:: it's pretty. Me likes. :)

I'm starting to see the Jar-Jar resemblence already :P

I just changed my signature now, its a quote from play that I've found relevant to modern life alot and sounds really good. I think they altered the words in the translation to make them rhyme.

A quadrigatus, pre-denarius Roman coin minted until around the time of the 2d Punic War. It consists of Jupiter with scepter and thunderbolt in a chariot driven by a smaller, slightly hard to see due to the small size, winged Victory with Roma inscribed below.

I like it a lot too, really captures true Roman spirit I think.

I like it a lot too, really captures true Roman spirit I think.

Thanks, here's a larger picture of a coin of the same denomination. You can see Winged Victory next to Jupiter much clearer as well as the other side of the coin with head of the Janus Gemini, whose shrine doors were open in wartime and closed during peace time.

I just recently decided to change my signature. I decided to put a bit of Australian verse into the site, and what is more Australian then Banjo Patterson?

The quote i have for my signature is from Patterson's "It's Grand", a poem. It's an interesting (and in my opinion rather accurate) outlook on life.

My favorite quotes from Member sigs:

Viggen: "Money does not smell." Amen. I think Vespasian is my favorite Roman after Caesar and Augustus. In fact, I'm beginning to like Vespasian more since I identify with his sense of humor and his pragmatism. Money does not smell, indeed.

Primus Pilus: "If Caesar were alive you'd be chained to an oar." Oh, how I wish Caesar were alive and some of the rabble of the modern world would eat their just deserts.

Cato: "He harms the good who spares the wicked." Bravo! Forgiveness and mercy are overrated. You don't leave an enemy alive to fight another day.

And I'm still trying to decipher Tobias' new sig. I guess you have to be an Aussie.

My favorite quotes from Member sigs:

Viggen: "Money does not smell." Amen. I think Vespasian is my favorite Roman after Caesar and Augustus. In fact, I'm beginning to like Vespasian more since I identify with his sense of humor and his pragmatism. Money does not smell, indeed.

Primus Pilus: "If Caesar were alive you'd be chained to an oar." Oh, how I wish Caesar were alive and some of the rabble of the modern world would eat their just deserts.

Cato: "He harms the good who spares the wicked." Bravo! Forgiveness and mercy are overrated. You don't leave an enemy alive to fight another day.

Ursus, do I detect a strain of Nietzschean sympathy in your posts, or is it my imagination? BTW, glad you like my sig :) It's sort my Latinist response to the pacifist ideal of turning the other cheek and the relativist ideal of "judging not lest ye be judged".

Edited by M. Porcius Cato

Guess the quote, who said this-

That it is within my power to rule over you for life is evident. However, I am mild by nature and have no wish to dominate. Let me live my life in peace

Ursus, do I detect a strain of Nietzschean sympathy in your posts, or is it my imagination?

Nietzsche said some things I can appreciate. :)

But I consider myself a classical pagan more than anything.

It's sort my Latinist response to the pacifist ideal of turning the other cheek and the relativist ideal of "judging not lest ye be judged

And that's why I like it, man.

LOL. Myself, i can't see any resemblance whatsoever, but there you go. Perhaps you haven't seen much of the older Doctor Who episodes Flavius :)

Older! Good grief I thought Patrick Troughton was a radical newbie!