UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

World Cup 2006

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me the most exciting part of the game is the disorderly conduct (to put it mildly) of the fans. I also love watching a game decided on a penalty shootout, aaaahhhhh, the hearts that will be broken :P

I think England doesn't have the goods this time around, infact I'm willing to bet USD$100, that England won't even get to the semi finals. Anybody brave enough to take me up on this bet? I think NOT :P

Argentina will win it all, they have a great team.

For me the most exciting part of the game is the disorderly conduct (to put it mildly) of the fans.

So your a football fan then?if its the fighting you like more than the actual contest why dont you watch a boxing contest or something?innocent fans and people get hurt in these Hooligan clashes,you want to hope you dont get caught up in the middle of one,its a very dangerous and scary place to be.

I hope the Hooligans dont spoil this world cup but when you get sets of rivals supporters together in these situations its pretty inevitable.Hopefully the German police will crack them hard enougth and the competition wont be spoiled by the inevitable fighting,hopefully.

I hear the German police are pretty good at crowed control/riot situations but i think they'll have there hands full.There was a newsnight report from somewhere (cant remember sorry)in the Balkans with the Hooligan element and there looking to get revenge for WW2!!!!jeez it may be a bloodbath.

There was virtually no trouble at the last world cup but that was in Japan and the Hooligan's didnt bother going to the expense and trouble of travelling,but i think they'll all be there in Germany.The English get a bad name because of the Hooligans but where baby's compared to the Turks or the Serbs,they use handgrenades and Kalashnikovs!i hope there's no trouble but i think they will be :P i just hope it doesnt spoil the games.

On a lighter note, i cant sleep for excitement!its the world cup,yah!i hope we do well but i think a semi final place is as high as England will go,they may not even qualify you never know how England will play :P .I really hope we get to play Argentina though,those games are great and i think we'll beat them just like last time the two country's played :D

that England won't even get to the semi finals.

You make that sound like an underachievment,the last four in a world competition is a pretty good effort dont you think?

Edited by longbow

So your a football fan then?if its the fighting you like more than the actual contest why dont you watch a boxing contest or something?innocent fans and people get hurt in these Hooligan clashes,you want to hope you dont get caught up in the middle of one,its a very dangerous and scary place to be.

I lived in England for 6 years when I was a teenager, and witnessed first hand hooligans on many occasions when I use to attend Man. United games. Infact during a loss, while leaving the stadium, I recall a beer bottle flying over my head. I think hooligans add to an already electric atmosphere, it's exciting as long as that beer bottle doesn't hit it's inteneded target.

On a lighter note, i cant sleep for excitement!its the world cup,yah!i hope we do well but i think a semi final place is as high as England will go,they may not even qualify you never know how England will play :P .I really hope we get to play Argentina though,those games are great and i think we'll beat them just like last time the two country's played :P

I doubt that they will meet, but that last win by England was an isolated incident :D , usually the Argentinians have their way :) . Nevertheless, I hope they do play, it will be a great match.

You make that sound like an underachievment,the last four in a world competition is a pretty good effort dont you think?

It's all or nothing, I will change my bet to the quarterfinals, I'm that confident. :)

Edited by tflex

Infact during a loss, while leaving the stadium, I recall a beer bottle flying over my head. I think hooligans add to an already electric atmosphere, it's exciting as long as that beer bottle doesn't hit it's inteneded target.

It can get a bit more series than that,a bottle thrown into a crowd is not comparable with some of the trouble which goes on.You think its exciting,i think its terrifying, especially when we've got our family's with us and all we want to do is take the kids to the game.

When you've got rival Firms fighting it out in the train stations and the Police waiting outside to lay there batons into anybody who comes out the station (they darent go in and stop the mayhem,they wait till its ended)!the Police rarely get stuck into the actual Firms (Hooligans) its the innocent supporters who get there skulls cracked open,especially abroad.There's nothing exciting about it.

I doubt that they will meet, but that last win by England was an isolated incident biggrin.gif , usually the Argentinians have their way smile.gif . Nevertheless, I hope they do play, it will be a great match.

England V Argentina results are pretty similar actually,

1953 Argentina 0-0 England

1964 Argentina 1-0 England

1966 Argentina 0-1 England

1986 Argentina 2-1 England

1991 Argentina 2-2 England

1998 Argentina 4-3 England (Brilliant game)

2000 Argentina 0-0 England

2002 Argentina 0-1 England

2005 Argentina 2-3 England

So thats three wins each and three draws matey :P If the two teams meet each other in this tournament it will definetly be one of the highlights of the world cup,its allways an electric atmosphere and the football is top quality,fingers crossed we'll get to meet them.

Wiki link.

only two more days!!!!!!

I doubt that they will meet, but that last win by England was an isolated incident biggrin.gif , usually the Argentinians have their way smile.gif . Nevertheless, I hope they do play, it will be a great match.

England V Argentina results are pretty similar actually,

1953 Argentina 0-0 England

1964 Argentina 1-0 England

1966 Argentina 0-1 England

1986 Argentina 2-1 England

1991 Argentina 2-2 England

1998 Argentina 4-3 England (Brilliant game)

2000 Argentina 0-0 England

2002 Argentina 0-1 England

2005 Argentina 2-3 England

So thats three wins each and three draws matey :P If the two teams meet each other in this tournament it will definetly be one of the highlights of the world cup,its allways an electric atmosphere and the football is top quality,fingers crossed we'll get to meet them.

Matey, only the world cup matches count, the other ones are mere exhibition games that Argentina don't take too seriously, because unlike England, Argentina is more accustomed to playing at the highest stage, unfortunately the same cannot be said of England, unless you go back to 1966, thats a loooooong time ago. For example that 2005 game meant absolutely nothing, since both teams had already qualified for the world cup tournament, just a preperation game. :P

Also you avoided my challenge, I reduced it to the quarterfinals, surely you think England will make it that far at least? :D

Edited by tflex

Matey, only the world cup matches count, the other ones are mere exhibition games that Argentina don't take too seriously, because unlike England, Argentina is more accustomed to playing at the highest stage,

Firstly there's no such thing as an Exhibition game,do you think the premiership clubs would allow there palyers to play in such games??the answers no.

Secondly,what's this highest stage your talking about??England clubs play to a higher level than Argentinian,the European cups are the most important in the world.The European championship is better than the south American counterpart,England plays in that competion,Argentina obviously dont!England have played in more world cups than Argentina,so what you talking about?

For example that 2005 game meant absolutely nothing, since both teams had already qualified for the world cup tournament, just a preperation game

Did you watch the game?i dont think you saw it or you wouldnt of said that crap!it was a hell of a match!one of the best encounters between the two teams.Read this Wiki quote because you obviously didnt even watch the match.

The most recent notable game between the two nations occurred in Geneva, Switzerland on 12 November 2005 when the two teams, having both already qualified for the following year's World Cup, met in a friendly as part of the build-up preparations for that tournament. England were often accused in their domestic press of not performing well in friendly matches, but picked a full-strength team, as did Argentina. In an eventful game, England twice came from behind to beat Argentina 3-2 in the dying moments of the game with two headed goals from Michael Owen from crosses by Steven Gerrard and Joe Cole. The result and performance were welcomed enthusiastically by the English public, with some suggesting that the result was an indication of the team's ability to win the World Cup, although this was played down by the players themselves. The Argentinians, although regretful of losing their lead so late in the game, were also dismissive of any wider significance of the result. Overall, Argentine papers praised the team's play even when criticising the relaxation late in the game that led to Owen's headers, with some first-choice players having been substituted.

There were some issues with reports of Argentina players chanting anti-English slogans before the game, but as The Times reported: "by the unpleasant standards of previous confrontations, the skirmish between England and Argentina edged towards the saccharine, although the concept is deeply relative. The latest encounter featured punches on the terraces, songs about the Falkland Islands, jibes regarding players' sexuality and general churlishness that, believe it or not, represents a significant thaw in diplomatic relations."[10] This game followed the general tone of the last one (2002 World Cup), with players focusing more on trying to play football and less on getting revenge on one another. In the end, all the past episodes only added a little spice to this already heated but entertaining rivalry.

Also you avoided my challenge, I reduced it to the quarterfinals, surely you think England will make it that far at least?

I havent avoided your 'Challenge', i ignored it.I think (hope, really) England will win it!i allready placed bets with the William hill (bookmakers,seven bets in all),i dont know you,why the hell would i bet you?if England beat the Argies i dont think for a minute you'd send me

Edited by longbow

Firstly there's no such thing as an Exhibition game,do you think the premiership clubs would allow there palyers to play in such games??the answers no.

But it is true that friendlies allow more substitutes, often involve weaker than normal teams/squads and are generally not played to quite the same intensity as competitive matches. Maybe that's what he meant?

England have played in more world cups than Argentina

Argentina have won more though...

That said, I think the current England side have the potential to be frighteningly strong, in four years time. By then, Beckham will be gone and Ferdinand probably have been exposed as the weakest of the potential centre backs. If they have the gumption to switch to wing backs, they'll be able to field their strongest players in a way that suits their style. Even if they stick to 4-4-2 (which I think likely as the players seem unable to embrace anything else happily) then

Robinson

A. Cole

Carragher

Terry

King

?

Gerrard

Lampard

J. Cole

Rooney

Owen

would be a formidable starting 11, with only one tricky spot to fill and only two other 'questionables' (Carragher and King).

Realistically, England should hope for a quarter final place this time round, with a semi spot if the draw is kind.

Next time round though, a last 4 place would be a realistic aim.

But it is true that friendlies allow more substitutes, often involve weaker than normal teams/squads and are generally not played to quite the same intensity as competitive matches. Maybe that's what he meant?

True,but the match in question was between two full streangth teams and Eng v Arg are allways competitive games.When he says 'exhibition match' it makes me think of teams like the Harlem globe trotters,a team who does tricks and such.Friendly international football matches are not like that all.

Argentina have won more though...

Yeah but,Tflex said

unlike England, Argentina is more accustomed to playing at the highest stage

The world cup finals are the highest stage in international football and England have played in more finals than Argentina so how is Argentina more accustomed to playing at that level :blink:

I think i can answer that myself,because they won it more.But i dont want to godamnit!! :lol::P

I know we have no chance of winning the cup but i can hope cant i?i think we can get to the semi's if we have a good draw but i think the finals out of our reach.

Brazil are just too good for the rest of us,i cant see anybody beating them.The Spanish and the Italians are strong but i think we can beat those teams,maybe.The Argentinians are good but not as good as us (sorry Tflex couldnt resist :lol: ).

I've got three full weeks holiday booked in at work starting tomorrow :D yah!!! so im looking forward to watching all these great games,regardless of who wins (Come on England!!!!!).

Edited by longbow

How often are World cup games decided on a penalty shoot out ?

Here is something about it Germanicus. I think if the game would be decided on a penalty shootout there will be a lot of nail biting heart stopping action. As we all know there is nothing wrong with that. Shootout

Anyways I remember when the opening game was between France and Senegal. They predicted it would not even be a competition, so the ratings were low. Senegal ended up winning 2-1. Hey the impossible can happen, watch every game you never know.

Besides it happens only once every 4 years!!! :blink:

ho ho ho, first sensation of the cup,

Trinidad/Tobago makes a heroic 0:0 draw with one man less against top team of Sweden...

I guess its party time in the caribbean right now :lol:

cheers

viggen

How humiliating Sweden was my pick. :bag: Losing to a team that had a 2,000 to 1 chance of winning the cup to a team that had a 21 to 1 chance of winning it all. Having 11 to 10 men and about 20 shots at the end is so awful. The Trinidad and Tobago coach said we will not win the cup.

Anyways, I think Trinidad played better than Sweden played bad. Sweden and England will advance but give credit to Trinidad they just wanted it more. Especially the goalkeeper.

I think the best match is next, so far through this tournament. Argentina and Cote Divoire is going to be the most balanced match yet. The best of Africa to the best of South America. One game changes everything.

Now to the pitch!

Edited by Rameses the Great

Despite the presence of numerous shapely Swedish ladies I was on balance more inclined to find the female support of TT robustly attractive, many would say a draw was therefore a fair result . I suspect Argentina versus Costa Rica will be a close fought affair given the excellent high cheekbones of many Lady fans on both sides.Spain versus The Ukraine will I think be difficult to call given a plethora of dark glossy hair on both sides of the terrace, despite splendid variations in the distribution of adipose tissue.