UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

World Cup 2006

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FIFA is inaccurate, but still a good guide to the teams. I'm sure we can all agree Brazil, Czech Republic, England, France, Holland, Argentina all deserve to be in the top ten. But, I think Germany's ranking is totally inaccurate and a few other teams need to be ranked higher.

Fifa's current top 20:

1 Brazil

2 Czech Republic

3 The Netherlands

4 Mexico

5 USA

5 Spain

7 Portugal

8 France

9 Argentina

10 England

11 Nigeria

11 Denmark

13 Italy

14 Turkey

15 Cameroon

16 Sweden

17 Egypt

18 Japan

19 Germany

20 Greece

Even if we ignore the order, Egypt, Japan, Greece and USA are certainly not top 20 teams. It's perhaps debatable whether Turkey, Greece, Denmark and Nigeria are also.

Does anyone seriously (apart from FIFA and some of the Czech fans perhaps) really consider the Czechs to be the second best team in the world? Or the current Dutch side the third? And Mexico? Top ten maybe but that's about it.

Probably half their top ten are uncontentious (even if the order is ignored).

I don't quite see the necessity for Fifa rankings, but their current system is hugely flawed.

Czechs are a very strong team. They have a chance this time to go higher.

I'm not sure for who I'm going to cheer until I see more games.

Holland, Argentina and the Czech republic are all very good. Cote d'Ivoir played nice.

That group with Argentina, Holland, Cote d'Ivoir and Serbia it's murder!

Poland was a big dissapointment for me. And so was Sweden.

The FIFA ranking system it's a joke, but the FIFA World Cup it's great!

Egypt, Japan, Greece and USA are certainly not top 20 teams. It's perhaps debatable whether Turkey, Greece, Denmark and Nigeria are also.

Egypt-won the African cup over Cote Divoire, and never lossed on their way.

Turkey-nearly beat Brazil in the last World Cup, just could not hold on. Also the only team in history to lose their opening match, to Brazil, and advance.

Denmark-you have me befudled. :P

Nigeria-aside from Cameroon they used to be the most powerful team in Africa. Also elderly leadership make this team without a doubt dangerous.

Although Nigeria should not be in front of Cameroon. Whenever they play, Cameroon wins.

Also the Netherlands are completely overrated. They lost Davids and many others. I guess that just shows how good Van Nisterooy is.

Great win for Germany my second favorite team. The match was great, Germany relentlessly attacked Poland, with one close miss after the other. The lone goal was scored in stoppage time, right after two huge misses by Germany, it looked like they blew their last chance and would finish with a tie; and just seconds later, Germany scores a great goal. Best game of the tournament I've seen so far.

The worst loss of the World Cup came today, during Ukraine vs Spain. They got four goals including the first penalty kick of the World Cup 2006. After the referee made bad call after bad call the Spanish were elated. Nothing was made to dampen their mood, after all the rain in Spain stays mainly on the plane.

Also Tunisia and Suadi Arabia was very exciting. All though they probably won't advance they showed that they are teams that never give up.

Ouch!

Poland could not outlast Germany as they fell in the 93rd minute. It was probably the first true saddening loss, as now Poland is eliminated. In the final minutes Germany hit the crossbar twice! they even had a goal but the player was offside. The Polish fans thought, we held them off, then GOAL! Neuville scored on a beautiful feed from Ordukor. Germany is now undefeated and only has Ecuador left.

Great win for Germany my second favorite team. The match was great, Germany relentlessly attacked Poland, with one close miss after the other. The lone goal was scored in stoppage time, right after two huge misses by Germany, it looked like they blew their last chance and would finish with a tie; and just seconds later, Germany scores a great goal. Best game of the tournament I've seen so far.

bah!!! Poland were so close... :)

Egypt-won the African cup over Cote Divoire, and never lossed on their way.

I'd overlooked that. Sorry. They probably are worth a top 20 place.

Turkey-nearly beat Brazil in the last World Cup, just could not hold on. Also the only team in history to lose their opening match, to Brazil, and advance.

They're not a bad side, Turkey But they're not really that great either.

Nigeria-aside from Cameroon they used to be the most powerful team in Africa. Also elderly leadership make this team without a doubt dangerous.

Too old now, they need to rebuild.

Also the Netherlands are completely overrated.

They've got some very promising youngsters but I agree, they're overrated by Fifa.

My team Argentina just destroyed Serbia & Montenegro 6-0, not much of a team, but the Dutch could only beat them 1-0. Great debut by Messi with his first goal of the tournament.

Guys, there is also a possibility that England & Argentina will meet in the Quarterfinals. If it happens that will be a crazy match.

Edited by tflex

I should like to praise Angola for "pluck and guts" .Well done chaps. The goalkeeper trains at home and doesnt have a club?

I should like to praise Angola for "pluck and guts" .Well done chaps. The goalkeeper trains at home and doesnt have a club?

Amen...although Mexico did their usual performance: flashes of brilliance along with flashes of idiocy. Too many times, especially when 1-man up, they would kick the ball right into Angola's defence. Duh.

Anyway, moral victory for Angola...and now I need the USA/Italy game to be a good one.

Guys, there is also a possibility that England & Argentina will meet in the Quarterfinals. If it happens that will be a crazy match.

Argentina are looking good,that goal with something like 23 passes was amazing!it will be on the wonder goal DVD's for years to come.Unless England pull there socks up i dont think they'll stand a chance against this Argie team :D .