UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

13 Things That Don't Make Sense

Viggen

Here is a list of thirteen things that doesn't make any scientific sense....

1 The placebo effect

DON'T try this at home. Several times a day, for several days, you induce pain in someone. You control the pain with morphine until the final day of the experiment, when you replace the morphine with saline solution. Guess what? The saline takes the pain away...

2 The horizon problem

OUR universe appears to be unfathomably uniform. Look across space from one edge of the visible universe to the other, and you'll see that the microwave background radiation filling the cosmos is at the same temperature everywhere. That may not seem surprising until you consider that the two edges are nearly 28 billion light years apart and our universe is only 14 billion years old

...the full list + more info at the NewScientist

cheers

viggen

The placebo effect does make sense actually. It's purely psychological. They BELIEVE that they are getting morphine, and so their brain creates the same effect as if they were actually getting morphine. The human mind is incredible.

There are edges on the universe? Well then, what's beyond that?

The placebo effect does make sense actually. It's purely psychological. They BELIEVE that they are getting morphine, and so their brain creates the same effect as if they were actually getting morphine. The human mind is incredible.

Infinity?!

It seems to me that it's a physical impossibility for everything to just end. Maybe there is no matter beyond the edges, but there is empty space, and empty space is *something*, it takes up space. Unless you define universe as neccesarily containing matter.

Maybe the edge of the universe is really the end and the limit. Maybe if you get to the edge and attempt to penetrate to the other side, you will end up coming out on the opposite edge of the universe and vise versa. Does that make sense? For example if you enter through the northern edge, you instantly come out of the southern edge, you know like going around in circles.

Hold on a minute, in the study they showed that when they added morphine blocking substance the placebo effect did not happen, so there must be more to it....

cheers

viggen

I don't know specifics on this but it seems to me morphine makes your brain make certain chemicals that act as pain relievers. Your brain thinks you are getting morphine, and makes the chemicals anyway. The "mophine blocking substance" probably blocks these chemicals that are made by the brain somehow.

Or maybe not. Just speculating there.

If I were a gambling man, I would say that there are multiple universes and a continuum of largeness and smallness. By that I mean you will never find the smallest particle, and there is no limit of the number of universes nor their possible interactions into a greater whole. A tiny look into 'the meaning of life.' We are the speck on the elephant's ass.

No, I cannot prove any of this.