UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Siege Of Masada

I will be making a documentary on the Siege of Masada with a research partner for this year's national history day competition. I know the only 'primary' 'account' is by Flavius Josephus, so we are searching for archeology books on the subject. If anyone comes across any books relating to Masada just post here. I am compiling a list of professors/archeologists for a mailing list. If you know of anyone with expertise related to the Jewish War/Eastern Legions/Masada/Eastern Sociology of that period, please post contact info here. If that includes anyone on the board here, that would be awesome. After the event is over (around april-may- july the latest) I will be glad to share it with everyone here. ;)

For more info about the project just pm me.

Edited by Antiochus of Seleucia

There was a very famous jewish archaeaologist who excavated the site who published a brilliant illustrated book about the site and its history. It really excited me in the 60s and I did some reconstruction paintings (long lost alas).

I am sure it would still be relevant and contain good material.

If I can find his name I'll let you know.

Phil

P.S. Are you aware of the film "The Antagonists" with Peter o'Toole? It was a very faithful attempt to depict the seige, originally as a US TV mini-series. I have a commercial video version bought years ago. It might still be available and provide stills or be just worth watching for interest. It's not bad.

Edited by phil25

I will be making a documentary on the Siege of Masada with a research partner for this year's national history day competition. I know the only 'primary' 'account' is by Flavius Josephus, so we are searching for archeology books on the subject. If anyone comes across any books relating to Masada just post here. I am compiling a list of professors/archeologists for a mailing list. If you know of anyone with expertise related to the Jewish War/Eastern Legions/Masada/Eastern Sociology of that period, please post contact info here. If that includes anyone on the board here, that would be awesome. After the event is over (around april-may- july the latest) I will be glad to share it with everyone here. :)

For more info about the project just pm me.

hi antiochus,

i dont know where u r, but i am in ireland. i know that all universities have ancient history or classical faculties with all historians own particular field of experteese. am sure if u contact a uni they will be glad to help with your research or put u onto the particular scholer, or if you go on to uni web sites, u will find a biog on all lectureres with thier fields of interest and publications listed.

interesting area.

good luck

• 1 month later...

Great News!

I just sent out a bunch of e-mails yesterday to various Dr./professors/experts on the Siege of Masada/Eastern-Roman History, and I already have many of them responding already saying they are willing to help! After I send my questions and recieve my answers I shall post them for everyone's benefit.

I got a response from Walter Zanger- he sometimes is the tour guide for this place! OMG