UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

It's Official

Virgil61

US population passes 300 million: Reuters.

In case you think it's all a bad thing, several financial studies hint--and this economist article highlights--that this population growth improves the long-term outlook of the US economy.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's mind-boggling when you consider population growth in only a few decades. To think that America's population has grown from 100 Million to 300 Million from 1915 goes to show how improved living conditions, food and medicine has caused an explosion in population.

Britain's population around a few years before the Conquest of Anglo-Saxon England by the Normans numbered a little over a million I think - a thousand years later and it's around 80 Million people in the UK today (I think).

The nature of US population growth is a touchy topic. Population is a good thing for America in total I think, but just how should that population grow? Is it right that the Hispanic population can cross the border and get into the US more easily than new African, Asian or caucasian populations? Is it right to maintain the current cultural makeup of the US (white dominant with minority highlights)?

With interracial marriage becoming ever more common, does it really matter? My own progeny will be a near equal mix of Italian, Polish, German, French, Irish and Korean.

In the mid 1900's Egypt had a population of 52.5 million, now it has a population of 78.9 million! They're not adding to the population were multiplying to it!

Staggering statistic, during World War II the population of England was 50 million and Egypt's was 12 million. Now England's population is 52 million and Egypt's is nearly 79 million!

I don't know what their doing there. tflex, I'm sure you know of the term we give to these people. (Hameer)

...this population growth improves the long-term outlook of the US economy.

But the outlook for the health of the world in general looks bad.

UK population is 60m.

Health is important. Some people seem to think that a large population is vital to future power in the world. I do not believe this, because that same population, while an ample labor pool, is also a massive weight dragging the state down.

The US is in a unique position, yet again in history, to tailor and control its population to suit its changing needs, unlike China or India for instance.

If we put our resources and mind to it in a serious manner, we could control the border and the people currently within the country illegally easily.

It's a failure now because it is designed to be such. All politicians are interested in appeasing big farms and big business, which profit well off of manipulating those without citizen rights, which in turn hurts all Americans and America in the long run.

America always has this problem with long term sight. All its solutions always seem to be geared to the next election cycle, and I think this is becoming more and more of a problem in a world that seems to be expanding in various ways ever faster.

Now, if America wants to maintain the status quo, it will slow immigration and make it easier for families to prosper as opposed to the middle class crunch going on today. Population would rise much slower than with immigration.

If America does not care about the status quo, all it need to is open the gates to immigration and the minority populations will rise dramatically, as will population.

Funny... this kind of thing happened in the nineteenth century. Those immigrants had to be 'Americanized' so that they didn't pose any sort of threat. Take a look at the ideologies of the most fervent Americanizers. I'll put one out on the table - Henry Ford, recipient of the Grand Cross of the Supreme Order of the German Eagle by the Nazis.

Don't really know what you are referring to with 'this sort of thing.'

There is nothing wrong with a nation to wanting to maintain its identity. Its funny only America gets criticized for such concepts because everyone forces it to perpetually be the melting pot of the world, while other countries across the world its natural and accepted for them to maintain their cultural heritage and identity, from France to Austria to Japan.

People in the UK that object to the flood of "asylum seekers" that don't want "asylum" in the numerous countries that they pass through to get here are also considered "Nazis".