UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

When the Parthians had the Eagles....?

spittle

After Crassus lost the Eagles at Carrhae they were in the possession of the Parthians for decades. What did they do with them?

Did they take them to the Eastern edge of their lands (furthest away from Roman provinces) and hide them?

Or did they display them in a similar fashion to the spoils of war in Roman triumphs?

Maybe none of the above....

Does anyone know?

Were they not displayed in the Imperial capital at Cstephion? I find a very fleeting reference in the Osprey series work(Rome s Enemies 3) saying " thereafter the standards were displayed in various temples" -however the reference to Crassus" severed head and hand being thrown onstage at the entertainment staged by the King Of Armenia in the presence of the Parthian King during a performance of Bacchanates (Euripides) is widely regaled as an amusing after dinner story.............

I note that many of the Roman prisoners (with craft skills) are said to have been settled in the neighbourhood of Merv.

-however the reference to Crassus" severed head and hand being thrown onstage at the entertainment staged by the King Of Armenia in the presence of the Parthian King during a performance of Bacchanates (Euripides) is widely regaled as an amusing after dinner story.............

That is provided directly by Plutarch at least. Though I'd agree it has all the trappings of dramatic effect along with the molten gold being poured down his throat concept. (as reported by Cassius Dio... though it was a couple of generations after Appian provided the same example of death for Manius Aquillius at the hands of Mithridates. And of course, such a story is a recurring one in history).

I've wondered... couldn't Roma send a spy or something to steal them back?

You know... climb a wall here, take it, ride away on a horse in the night...?

It'd be hard but not impossible.

Edited by Antiochus of Seleucia

There are several problems with this.

A) how big were Legionary Eagles? Somthing small like documents (and later silk moth eggs) would be easily concealed and transported. Gold on the other hand is really heavy

B ) Parthia was BIG after their initial display the eagles couldve been taken anywhere

C) If I was the Parthian King I would have melted them down for coin as soon as I got tired of showing off my glorious victory (and rubbing it in Romes face). why? well this meant that the romans could never recover it.

oops too slow :lol:

Edited by CiceroD

I was thinking of a special forces type recovery action when I mentioned them possibly being taken to the east and hidden.

But Parthia was huge. From the Euphrates to India (?)

• 3 weeks later...