UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Updating profiles etc.

OK, guys and gals - so why can't I change my avatar? I 'remove old avatar' and 'upload new image', scaled to size and everything as the rules dictate. I click on 'update avatar' and I am left with a squashed version of Sian Phillips! And this is not the first time it's happened.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

OK, guys and gals - so why can't I change my avatar? I 'remove old avatar' and 'upload new image', scaled to size and everything as the rules dictate. I click on 'update avatar' and I am left with a squashed version of Sian Phillips! And this is not the first time it's happened.

It's a cookie/cache issue (same thing was driving me batty on my own recent avatar change). Try to clear your internet cache files as a first step.

The attached image is what I see

post-3-1170200961.jpg

It's a cookie/cache issue (same thing was driving me batty on my own recent avatar change). Try to clear your internet cache files as a first step.

The attached image is what I see

post-3-1170200961.jpg

Ah - yes! Thank you PP - that is what I had hoped to upload - the Basalt head in the Louvre. I will sweep out my cache. Thanks!

I like what you have now. Suits you; especially in view of the story on your site. Tattle tale!

:suprise:

Have you been snooping, Gaius? I'll bear it in mind. :blink:

I've pinned this thread since this seems to be a recurring issue.

What does 'pinned' mean?

The thread will stay at the top of the forum category even if nobody post in it, to be easily found if someone need it in the future. (However I believe that the forum root (Ancient Roman Empire Forums) will show the topic with the last post as the most recent topic.)

The EASIEST way to fix this, by far, is to simply press ctrl+F5 in your browser while on any page where you would see your avatar (just don't do it on the "upload an avatar" page!).

F5 is the standard shortcut key to refresh a webpage. Ctrl+F5 tells your browser to not only refresh the page, but completely *reload* everything on that page. Your old avatar was cached in the temporary internet files folder, but ctrl+f5 will force it to check again for the change.

This is much quicker and has less hassle than having to reset your entire cache. :)

Edited by Julia C

• 2 months later...

I dont seem to be able to "make a personal statement"...am I overlooking a simple control feature?

I dont seem to be able to "make a personal statement"...am I overlooking a simple control feature?

In this case Pertinax, yes

In the middle of your profile page where all the tabs are (Blog, friends, gallery, etc.) look for the one labelled 'Settings'. Click on that tab and you should see right away the block for personal statement.

Ah yes , I see it in the small print. I have made an experimental statement that GO will understand well.