UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Feedback - New Home Page

We proudly present our new designed home page (thanks Moon for an outstanding job)!

It`s look is designed around the forum-look and it should give it a more pleaseing feel and faster page load!

cheers

viggen

So what do you think of the new designed home page, your feedback is appreciated...

It's looking great, but I would change the font on the first page. It's not difficult too read but it's not easy either. Especially the italic parts are a bit annoying. That kind of fonts are made for headlines not text.

To be honest I don't remember too much of the old homepage, I was mostly sneaking around here at the forum. However I like the focus on the forum with it's easy left hand corner link!

It's looking great, but I would change the font on the first page. It's not difficult too read but it's not easy either. Especially the italic parts are a bit annoying. That kind of fonts are made for headlines not text.

To be honest I don't remember too much of the old homepage, I was mostly sneaking around here at the forum. However I like the focus on the forum with it's easy left hand corner link!

No worries on the Italics issue. The reason that part is in italics is because it's an actual quote of the article. It's not an automatic font. There's no reason we have to keep using it for future postings.

Looks good.

I do have one suggestion though. Have you guys considered embedding a home page link in the big UNRV logo in the upper left hand corner of each page? I find myself instinctively moving my mouse over it when I want to get to the home page. I then end up having to scan whatever page I'm on to find the UNRV link. Just a thought.

Looks good.

I do have one suggestion though. Have you guys considered embedding a home page link in the big UNRV logo in the upper left hand corner of each page? I find myself instinctively moving my mouse over it when I want to get to the home page. I then end up having to scan whatever page I'm on to find the UNRV link. Just a thought.

I've gotten into the habit of viewing the "UNRV News" link as the Home Page link, but I agree that most people are conditioned to move their mouse over the topmost logo on a page in expectation of finding a home page link there. Sounds like a good idea.

I like the prominently displayed picture-link of the UNRV Roman Empire map on the front page. I don't remember seeing that there before, if it was. Also, the search box is great. Again, don't remember if that was there before, or at least as obvious. And the month-by-month compendium to the left is neat-o. :D

-- Nephele

Neater, tidier and easier to read.

I'm honestly not sure which I liked better but then, I don't go on the homepage much at all.

It looked like this... Yahoo Cache

Google has the new page indexed. If this page should update and it looks like the new page, than you can see our old pages via the Internet Archive. The link provided is the home page in July, 2007.

I like the old one better. What's the difference, except that the main categories are not prominent?

Nothing really functional... it's more just appearance. I like the new look far more than the old big header. Additionally, the new look isn't a single large banner header (which is slower to load and used more bandwidth.)

You might also notice that the blogs and the gallery now have a link featured at the top of the page. They were quite hidden and available only through the forum before.

The logo is a background image, and not inherently clickable, though I can probably find a workaround in order to turn that area into a link.

The font is the same font used throughout the forum, I may just add some letter spacing on the front page to make it more legible.

The newer look will enable us to use a much easier menu system and make better use of screen space. The current menu system for the regular content makes me cringe.

Doesn't matter to me, but doesn't it make it more difficult for the casual 'computer illiterate' visitor?

The links on the left - Empire, Government, etc - will have their submenus indented and listed below them, sort of like the folder system on your computer. It will actually much much easier for anyone to navigate compared to our current system for displaying submenus. The current system even confuses me sometimes, and I created it.