UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

A Roman Empire Today..

Zeke

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I'm from Serbia, I live in Serbia.

Is ther any american on the forum?

All treasure of Roman Empire is in USA.

All history is storage in USA.

Yes, there are Americans, I am one.

Very little historic treasure is in the US actually. One can't compare imported antiquities to the existence of actual buildings, historic sites and archaeological digs to imported goods. Well in my opinion anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Well seeing what direction this topic took I will say that if you had to pick a country that is the closest to what the Roman empire was you have to admit that the USA is the closest. I am simply saying this because we (yes I am an American) are the only country that has military bases all over the world and we do have sudo-client states.

I think the USA could be more Roman if we actually would loose our touchy feely liberalistic views. Hell if something like 9/11 happend and the USA was Roman I think you would have seen more middle eastern countries having salt sowed into thier soil.

Although on the other side of the coin, I think actually the Romans were more liberal than we are in America. To me the Romans did not have prejudices based on skin color or religion (not counting the later emperors who would force themselves as Gods). To me it was very simple 'we don't care what you look like or what Gods you worship, just pay your taxes and do not make waves.'

Hell I just wish Latin as a spoken language would come back into use as the international language of trade, etc., etc.

• 2 weeks later...

In a way, this is true at any point in history, once an empire gets too big for its own good, it begins to fall. The only thing that can prevent this is having generation after generation of hard working courageous people who arent tempted by the vast wealth that is accrued by such an empire. And that is asking a bit too much of human nature :) .

The idea of forming a new RE isnt a new one. Remember the "Holy Roman Empire"? The was fairly succesful for a while IIRC. Mussolini tried to re-establish the RE by allying with the Nazis inWWII. He came close to succeding, but Germany wasnt able to subdue England in time so they lost Africa, and then Italy, including Rome itself.

I think that if any modern nation could start a new RE it would be the US. Militarily we out gun everybody else and economically were better off than the Romans ever were. But we dont have the attitude that we have a dvine destiny which the Romans held. Plus if it werent for imigration our population would be stagnant or declining. All in all I think it would meet with great success early on but it wouldnt last, and the benefits we would get from controlling and empire wouldnt outweigh the cost of maintaining one. Therefore, lets leave the RE where it is, dead :)

I agree with the assertions that empire in the Roman sense is a somewhat outdated and perhaps self-defeating concept.

However, I believe the Western world needs a rebirth of its identiy as well as stronger ties among the nations and peoples that comprise that civilization.

In America, there's a not-so-subtle debate about whether the country should be Christian or secular in identity. In Western Europe , it generally seems the debate has been decided in the favor of secularism -although it's a nihilistic, postmodern form of secularism that's not very appealing. In former Communist countries it seems like nationalism and Orthodox Christianity have some influence...

I think a greater appreciation to our Greco-Roman roots and their values would be a nice compromise among these contrasting forces. I don't suggest that our Greco-Roman forebears are the end of everything, but they make a suitable beginning to the question of who we were/are, and what really unites us on an intellectual level if not a political one.

I agree ursus. But I think that it is probably to late for any real change in Europe, and the US dosent really identify with is Latin roots in the same way many European nations could. This is rather odd considering we were founded on principles which adhere more closely to the Greeks and Romans values than they did to the value system which monarchs had set up in Europe to justify Fuedalism (namely that each person has his place and cant rise above it)

• 2 weeks later...

it would be immpossible for any other country beside the united states to become a roman empire because the US would crush any country that tries to start a major war in the would today

the us allready has a "empire" since we control many smaller countries around the world and we have the most powerful military the world has ever seen. we also have the largest ecnomy in the world and plug american mass media like movies, music and tv thought the world. so in a sence we are just like the romans but speak english and have a different system of govt. so sady i dont think there ever will be another roman like empire in the world again