UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
GJC

Roman Underworld

Greetings,

GJC here. I am in need of information pertaining to the underground tunnels, grotto's, structures, and tours of what is called Roma Sotterranea. I know that much lay buried beneath the modern city. I am in the process of either working on a related project for school, as well as using the information in a fictional book I have been working on. Any assistance whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, to an admin, my real account Gaius Julius Camillus has not worked for months, and I have been unable to logon, and received no response when I emailed one of the staff. Perhaps I erred, but can anyone check into that? Because I would prefer the other account if all possible.

thanks in advance,

Gaius Julius Camillus (GJC)

Edited by GJC

I have only been to the catacombs of Domitilla so I'm afraid I can't help you much.

I take it that you've seen the Roma Sotterranea website ? They have, amongst other things, a list of sites they've been working with. You can also contact them directly. What sort of information are you looking for?

Essentially anything and everything. I would like info not just on the tours one can go to, but some of the ones the average tourist would never hear of. What ruins or edifices, related to the Julians, Venus, or Mithras lay buried below? Fictionally, I am working on a werewolf and vampire novel, and the prospects of underground tunnels and ruins are just perfect for what I have created thus far. Is the underworld localized, or does it run everywhere underneath the city?

Edited by GJC

On a side note, to an admin, my real account Gaius Julius Camillus has not worked for months, and I have been unable to logon, and received no response when I emailed one of the staff. Perhaps I erred, but can anyone check into that? Because I would prefer the other account if all possible.

GJC, I suggest you pm forum administrator Moonlapse, who takes care of that sort of thing. Cheers.

Essentially anything and everything. I would like info not just on the tours one can go to, but some of the ones the average tourist would never hear of. What ruins or edifices, related to the Julians, Venus, or Mithras lay buried below? Fictionally, I am working on a werewolf and vampire novel, and the prospects of underground tunnels and ruins are just perfect for what I have created thus far. Is the underworld localized, or does it run everywhere underneath the city?

As a roman I think I can compile a list with the less known mithraea, tombs, necropolis, colombari, etc.

The burial sites are usually concentrated in the Via Appia area, for obvious reasons.

Mithraea:

*Mithraeum Barberini - Via delle Quattro Fontane

This is one of the few mithraea in Italy with wall paintings and frescos. It has all the fascination of the castra tenebrarum.

*Mithraeum of the baths of Caracalla

*Mithraeum of the Circus Maximus, Via dei Cerchi 6

There is another one under the Basilica of San Clemente, but I think it is one of the most famous and best-known in Rome.

Tombs/Necropoleis/Mausolea:

*Tombs of the Scipios, Via di San Sebastiano 9

*Tombs of the Via Latina, Via dell'Arco di Travertino 50

*Monte del Grano, Piazza dei Tribuni

*Necropolis Ostiense, Via Ostiense

*Generally, the Via Appia Antica (Mausolea of Priscilla, Caecilia Metella, Romolus)

*Lucilius Petus' mausoleum, Via Salaria 125 bis

Columbaria:

*Pomponius Hylas, Via di Porta San Sebastiano 9

*Columbaria of Via Taranto, Via Pescara 2

*Columbaria of Vigna Codini, Via di Porta San Sebastiano 13

The Catacombs AD DECIMUM in Grottaferrata are probably the less known to tourists, being outside of the city.

http://www.lecatacombe.it/lazio/territorio...rata/ad-decimum

I could also list the Hypogea, Nymphaea and the various temples but I am not sure they would be relevant to the topic.

If you can read Italian I suggest the book "Roma Sotterranea" by Ivana della Portella.

You might consider setting your novel in Naples instead as it has one of the most extensive underground systems in the world. :)

Thank you all very much for the information, it is proving very helpful. I will also email Moonlapse, but I did try before. It may have just not been sent. Thanks everyone.

GJC

Thank you all very much for the information, it is proving very helpful. I will also email Moonlapse, but I did try before. It may have just not been sent. Thanks everyone.

GJC

Sorry about that GJC... I just reset your password for the original account. I PM'd your GJC account with the info...

Anyone know where Julia Caesaris ashes (Caesar's daughter) were placed?

*Btw, I am officially back thanks to Primus Pilus*

According to Suetonius in his Life of Julius Caesar, Julia's ashes were placed somewhere in the Campus Martius.

That is a good question. Maybe Silentium, UNRV's Roman resident, can answer that?

Thank you Aurelia, and my next question is are there any underground networks in the place where the Campus Martius once was?

I don't know, but I would serious doubt that you'll find any, possibly (and probably) sewers though. The fields of Mars are lying very low in the city and they were subject of regular flooding which must had damaged any existing structures - underground network even more so. You should however know that you might find building that appear to be underground complexes (You can see this in many early medieval churches) but that is due to the land raise which is roughly 8 meter in the area.

Edited by Klingan

Thank you Aurelia, and my next question is are there any underground networks in the place where the Campus Martius once was?

I am not sure one can call it a "network" but there sure is something in Via di Campo Marzio. Deep underground in the area were the Campus Martius once was (7 metres underground), lies the so called Solarium sive Horologium Augusti. It was a huge solar clock (meridiana) which also consisted of an egyptian obelisc (it was built to commemorate the defeat of the egyptians). We know from Pliny that soon afterwards the meridiana stopped functioning properly (it no longer gave the exact time).

At present you can get there passing through someone's basement...

Picture here:

Colonna_-_meridiana_sotto_Campo_Marzio_48_1050300.JPG

You can find the obelisc in today's Piazza Montecitorio.