UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Favorite Historical Film

What is your favorite historical film and/or series, doesn't have to be ancient origninated and don't feel that the movie must be really accurate, ones that have a historical attempt are good too. My favorite historical movie would be a Napoleon 2 part movie done by A&E a few years ago, and my favorite series would be band of brothers.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Spartacus" It's not terribly accurate, and it's another entry in the Rome-as-Evil-Empire genre. But the performances and direction are top notch. It also gave a nice feel of Rome. The gladiator trader (Peter Ustenov's character) even had a lararium (religious shrine) in the corner of his villa, which I thought was nice detail.

Modern Hollywood just doesn't know how to make a classic like that anymore. It's all about special effects...

I know, I just wasn't sure if other people would agree seeing that is wasn't set in the Crusades etc. Although it was set in the 30's, so I guess it is regardless. :D

By the way, did anyone see that blatant rip-off of the Da-vonci code "National Treasure". Holy ***** that was terrible, I needed therapy.

i know most of you hate the movie... but i really enjoyed King Arthur. i still dont know why, but it just really catches me.

i also really like The Last Samurai... and im looking forward to seeing Kingdom of Heaven... it maty become a favorite too. i also enjoyed Alexander (the new one).

Crouching Tiger rocks, I haven't seen Hero yet.

Although the new breed of modern historical movies are nearly always a let down, I now manage to enjoy most of them by switching off all my natural cynicism and simply enjoying the atmosphere because they are for the most part, beautifully shot. I simply ignore the fact that the movie dosen't really work.

It is annoying though that Gladiator showed how it should be done but still movie after movie misses the mark. History is so full of incredible stories and ready made larger than life characters that its amazing that these movies are so often botched.

I haven't seen Alexander yet but I'm told that Colin Farrell is woefully miscast. Its maybe a pity the other rival Alexander film was not made instead as Leonardo diCaprio would have been the perfect Alexander.

Actually pompeius mentions the series Band of Brothers. If we are counting WWII films, The Thin Red Line is a stone cold classic.

My three favorite series- fact or fiction - dealing with history and/or historical figures/places (and in order too):

1) I, Claudius

2) Band of Brothers

3) Sharpes Rifles

As far as movies go, and there is easily only one top for me, and it pretty much only uses historical names/figures but not actual events:

The Lion in Winter - the O'Toole/Hepburn version, not the whiny Steward/Close recent remake.

And boy are there a lot of others, but I can't spend all night on this.

Thanks for cracking open some fun memories this evening! :lol: