UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Princeps

Challenge - Find An Old Photo Of Your Home Town

Using the powers of the internet, find an old photo of your home town.

This is where I live, Whitley Bay

t5%20whitley%20bay%20strollers.JPG

To try to be as Romanesque as someone in Detroit can be... here's some views of Campus Martius Park.

the first is 1865, the second 1914 and the third is 2005

piedmont-university-of-nc-chapel-hills.jpg

That ones particularly attractive. Its a site called the "Old Well" as best I remember. Its on the UNC campus here. Its a newer image though

kestad.jpg

Thats an older photo of a football field

100-75.JPG

Thats a library I beleive durring the Civil war, probley after the Union took NC

piedmont-university-of-nc-chapel-hills.jpg

That ones particularly attractive. Its a site called the "Old Well" as best I remember. Its on the UNC campus here. Its a newer image though

Old Well it is, brings back fond memories. It's the central focal point of the campus.

My hometown:

library-congress-archives_arlington_1889.jpg

library-congress-archives_arlington_1939.jpg

780x215-arlington-oregon.jpg

Recent photo from the Washington state side of the river. Yes, it's as desolate as it looks.

Roma, Via del Tritone (end of 1880s)

viadeltritone.jpg

Pantheon

pantheon.jpg

Pilgrimage in S.Peter (1869)

sanpietropellegrinaggio.jpg

Piazza Venezia

piazzavenezia1.jpg

..and a very very different Termini Station :)

stazionetermini.jpg

Some pictures of my hometown of Byblos, Lebanon.

It's the ancient home of the Phoenicians and has been occupied by the Persians, Romans, Crusaders, Arabs and the Ottomans. All the diverse history intermingle in this tiny port city. Byblos is considered as one of the oldest continuously inhabited city in the world, archaeological excavations date back 7,000 years.

An ancient Phoenician port, Byblos

pcolor12.jpg

Crusader castle built by the Franks in 1103 AD, Byblos

LebanonM168.jpg

Roman Theater, Byblos

liban_015-11-1780.jpg

Persian Fortifications, Byblos

26764592.lebanon256.JPG

St. John the Baptist Church built by the Crusaders, Byblos

26764781.lebanon212.JPG

I'm afraid i can't find anything on the net for my hometown; but i shall go to our town library as soon as possible and get some copies of the town.

alex1.jpg

Here's a bird's eye view of Alexandria, Virginia in 1863.

civil-war-artillery.jpg

Here's a painting of Civil War artillery at Alexandria.

school.jpg

Here's my former high school, T.C. Williams High. Yes, the same T.C. Williams from Remember the Titans.

Edited by Emperor Goblinus

post-1-1160630497.ipb19th Century painted view of Melbournepost-1-1160630497.ipbMelbourne, Swanston st 1895

I tried to find a modern day pic of the one I first posted for comparison, but I couldn't (I could take a pic myself as it's a 3 minute walk from my home, but it hasn't changed much - less people is about it).

Here's some other pics of where I live-

Tyne Bridge-built by the Sunderland company that built the Sydney bridge. This one is about 40% smaller, it was designed first and built second (iirc). This shot also shows a few of the other bridges spanning the Tyne - there are quite a few (the Industrial revolution basically started here I believe, so they've been building bridges ever since).

bridge6upload0oj.jpg

Another bridge, the "Blinking eye" millenium bridge. Built for pedestrians, it tilts to allow ships through. A very nice bridge this one. It leads to the Baltic arts building (I can't find a really nice pic including both, so there's a small pic below). The first pic also shows a nice view of the Sage music centre, again I've included a smaller pic of the sage, there are loads of large pics of this structure on google if you want better shots.

bridge2upload5rb.jpg

php98EBcy.jpg

Sage.jpg

Gateshead Angel (Angel of the North). COntraversial, but that's 'cos some people live to complain. I love it.

1044_44_77_web.jpg

angel2cn.jpg

Grey street - officially England's greatest street! (for aesthetic value at least, as voted by members of RICS, among others). Designed mainly by John Dobson, it includes the Newcastle theatre and Grey's monument(neither shown), and has a lovely downhill curve.

graystreet2bw2stopgradredfilte.jpg

And finally, the Penshaw monument. Not really in my locale, I live about 25 miles from this place, but I've included it anyway, for obvious reasons!

1044_37_2_web.jpg

That concludes the tour for now, I may add some more later.

Oops, forgot Tynemouth priory. There are loads of ruined castles round these parts, I include this one 'cos it's also about 10 minutes from my home. I used to go ther to drink beer as a teenager. Ah, those were the days ;)

newcastle_tynemouth_priory.jpg

tynemouthpriory1024.jpg

Hey Princeps,nice photo's!i love the Angel of the North (it was built in my home town) and the Blinking eye is pretty cool too.

Here's some pics of my home town.

hartlep4at.th.jpg

the Village i live in now.

hartvillageold4eb.th.jpg

A copy of the harbour.

093518ad5a89a55wa.th.jpg

copyofharbour14kb.th.jpg

the North gate was built to keep the scots out (8ft thick those walls).

gate8wl.th.jpg

A pic of the bronze boer war memorial,unfortunatly some scoundrels hacksawed him through the ankles and had him away so i've never seen this,but i like it anyway.

hartlepoolwestboer1sf.th.jpg

The Norman church,St Hilda's.

0247419f1c39f56ke.th.jpg

A pic taking in 1963,how grim does that look?

westhartlepoolcountydurhamuk20.jpg

Edited by longbow

This is the best I could find. I couldn't find the year in which it was taken, though--aside from "19th century," which is about as vague as one can get. 95FranklinStreet.gif