UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Smoking ban in England

As from 1st July 2007 smoking in England will be banned in all public places, this means you will be able to go into any bar in the U.K have afew drinks and not come out smelling like an ashtray :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml...01/nsmoke01.xml

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahem! Well, some of us have filthy habits.... :) But I applaud the ban too, actually, as we must all learn to compromise. I for one, hate smoking in public places. I won't even do it in my home - I nip out to the garden.... One of these days I will give up, and the day is getting ever nearer.

What annoys me about all this though is the bloody hypocrisy of the government. If they really wanted us all to stop smoking for health reasons they just need to ban the sale of tobacco. Of course, they wouldn't ever do this as it brings in billions in revenue.

If you don't want to smell like an ashtray, go to a non-smoking bar. If your pet peeves give you a right to dictate the terms under which bar owners run their establishments, then so do the pet peeves of every one else. Personally, I don't like small children in restaurants--perhaps we can ban them too, along with bad beer in airports, bad hair cuts in college classrooms, track suits in malls, and music from the 80s anywhere.

Wow! Come to think of it, this is fun! Next up: No Caesar-lovers on the Internet.

(BTW, I quit smoking years ago. It was hard, and I'm glad I did it, but when I hear the Nanny-Statists blathering out how my health is a "public health" issue, I'd love to light up just to blow smoke in their prissy little faces.)

If you don't want to smell like an ashtray, go to a non-smoking bar.

Unfortunatley there are no non-smoking bars in this country or at least non that i know of or would bother to frequent but there will be soon :)

I favor non-smoking *sections* of bars and resturaunts, however I don't think that banning smoking everywhere, in all public places, is a good idea.

One thing that really bugs me is my mom still smoking in the house, even though she knows the smoke burns my throat and she had promised before never to smoke in the new house. I am at my dad's now, and when I put on my clothes last night, and today, I noticed that I indeed do smell like an ashtray. Apparently the smoke has permeated all of the laundry.

Im with MPC- ban small children.

When I used to smoke, I was like the Augusta... I did it outside.

I was a fence rider on the 'public smoking' issue until they actually changed the laws here in Georgia a while back. As a non-smoker now I have to say I love it.

Stale, second hand smoke is just vitiating... When on your clothes even worse.

I have two small children and take them to restaurants all the time, most of the time they are well behaved but on the odd occassion they can be right little buggers so yes what the hell ban the little blighters or at least make them sit outside until the grown ups have had a nice peaceful evening :D:):naughty:

Edit- but i wouldn't want them sitting there breathing in other peoples smoke either, children and passive smoke- not a good mix

Edited by Gaius Paulinus Maximus

I'm with LW, I find it acceptable with two seperate sections.

People can have the right to smoke- I have no problem with that, as long as it doesn't interfere with my right to be healthy.

Many California cities have had such a ban for a long time--10 years or so--and it's something I do support. But I didn't realize how much of a difference a non-smoking building makes until I moved down to Austin, Texas. I went from wearing my contacts all the time (in California) to never wearing them when I went out (in Texas), simply because of the smoke. It's a big difference, and I for one do support a ban on public smoking.

Now, do it on your own private property all you want...but I like my beer, scotch, and other yum-yums smoke free, thanks.

I just have one word for the governments of this world "hypocrisy" - they happily take exorbitant sums of tax for tobacco (in austria for example a cigarette would cost a fith if you take tax out)

If the government allows to sell that dreck in public then people should be allowed to consume it in public, but as i said hypocrisy...

Whats next, the smell of burger is irritating me? Ban all burger outlets, or have one section with neutral smelling burger and one section with traditional smelling? The person next door has a strong body oudeur and stinks, must he go now to a stinking section? Or maybe i am allergic to Gucci perfume, what then?

Fast Food kills more people then smoking, alcohol kills more people den smoking, weapons kill more people then smoking, so ?

Why is it so difficult to make a smokers only place/pubs/restaurants and leave us alone and you others can all die healthy... ;-)