UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Unique Possessions

spittle

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A house built on the course of Hadrian's Wall, perhaps in Carlisle, Gilsland or Newcastle. I could then dig up the garden, and restore my very own piece of it.

It would be fascinating to see the loot from Herod's Temple in Jerusalem. It's pictured on the Arch of Titus, inside the arch. It's rumored to have been kept in Rome until the city was sacked by the Vandals (?), may have been lost at sea on the way to Vandal Africa.

i think most of it ended up in Constantinople after Belisarius conquered the Vandal kingdom.. atleast some of it is mentioned in his triumph.

anyway id prolly like to get the Byzantine crown jewels that the latin empress pawned to venice :angry:

A house built on the course of Hadrian's Wall, perhaps in Carlisle, Gilsland or Newcastle. I could then dig up the garden, and restore my very own piece of it.

Hi, NN

I used to live in South Shields and then Newcastle (Benwell -rough as arseholes!) BUT there were 2 of the walls gatehouses actually IN between the homes on the neighbouring estate.

The inscribed tablets were copies (originals in a museum) but they were still fascinating little bits of history.

I'll talk with you at York in April (I'm 90% sure I'll be able to take a few holidays or swap shifts). I'd like a small group to actually walk the length of Hadrians Wall. Maybe in the summer???

I'll talk with you at York in April (I'm 90% sure I'll be able to take a few holidays or swap shifts). I'd like a small group to actually walk the length of Hadrians Wall. Maybe in the summer???

Yes, I'd be up for that. A splendid Idea!

• 7 months later...

A bottle of Vina Opimia for me, please! :(

I came across this while referencing Davis' A Day in Old Rome in reply to another topic on this board:

Time fails to tell of various rare vintages which are treasured by the epicures as if worth their weight in gold. In 121 B.C. there was a wonderful yield of wine called Vina Opimia from the then Consul Opimius. By Hadrian's day the last drops of this precios liquor have long since disappeared, but men still discuss the traditions of its nectarous flavor.

Of course, any and all lost books would have priority, when it comes to bringing back valuable items from the past. But, right now, I'm about to sit down to dinner, and I was thinking how lovely it would be to taste a vintage that was highly spoken of by the ancient Romans -- even years after it was no longer available.

Heh, with my luck, though, what the ancient Romans prized in flavor might turn out to be something rancid-tasting, to me.

Maybe I'll just go with my librarian instincts of gathering up an armload of lost books from the past, after all.

-- Nephele

A good 2nd century legion will do me nicely, i could tell them to re-enact extracts from my novel :(

Actually i would like Caesars laurel/diadem thing for covering his baldness.

vtc

Salve!

That's easy: a nice contubernium (octet) of Nubian female slaves. B)

(Only for manumission purposes, of course) ;)

Of course, what else can nubian slaves be good for>

vtc

What object/objects would you most like to have?

Jewellery, Statues, Crowns, Weapons......

Anything goes on this one.

Salve, and thanks for asking the question Spittle!

As for me, I or we I think, already have the things that mean the most! Their very words. We know more about what Ancient Romans said, verbatim, than any one else throughout history. To me accurate pronunciation, though, is the key to their real meaning and duplicates them today as gems from the past, as much as a dagger from that ancient time.

Would you want to own the dagger from the last thrust against Caesar? I think I might but how would I feel about that particular artifact from the past?

I think holding that in my hand would make me shake like one of the conspirators. . . from the awe I'd feel.

---------------------

I sometimes think that never blows so red

The rose as where some buried Caesar bled.

That every hyacynth the garden wears

Dropt in its lap from some once lovely head.

Ruyaiyat XVIII / Fitzgerald translation

Edited by Faustus

Would you want to own the dagger from the last thrust against Caesar? I think I might but how would I feel about that particular artifact from the past?

I think holding that in my hand would make me shake like one of the conspirators. . . from the awe I'd feel.

Good point, a lot of distress, anger and buried history is in that dagger, not only would it have stabbed Caesar, wouldn't we be an accessory to a crime :lol:

I wouldn't mind to view it in a museum though.

vtc