UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Unique Possessions

spittle

In Goldworthy's 'Caesar' there is a little information concerning the citizens reactions to the death of Pompey Magnus. Some would not believe he was dead until his signet ring was displayed to them....

It started me thinking about how much I would appreciate owning (or even just viewing) this unique piece of jewellery that is attached to this giant of history. A tangible connection to the momentous events that shaped our world over two thousand years ago.

Just to hold it and KNOW it had once graced Pompey's very own hand!

What object/objects would you most like to have?

Jewellery, Statues, Crowns, Weapons......

Anything goes on this one.

Its funny how some things are beyond price to the right person. The little black dress that Audrey Hepburn wore in 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' sold at auction for

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a gorgeous thread! And I could be here all day..... so I'll limit myself to my favourites only.

Just as you would like Pompey's signet ring, Paul, I would love to have the one Augustus used as his first (the Sphinx) when he was an up-and-coming revolutionary.... I would also love to own the blue ensign that Agrippa was awarded after Sicily in 36BC and which he flew at Actium. There is also the basalt head of Livia in the Louvre that I wish I could steal!

In the Casa di Livia on the Palatine, there is a glass display case in one of the reception rooms (well, there was last time I was there) which holds several artefacts found on the site. There were a set of old ivory dice in that case, and I used to fancifully imagine that they were Augustus's. Of course, I'll bet they had nothing to do with Augustus, but it was nice to look at them and think.....

Galen's surgery/ vivisection kit and working notebooks! Out of scientific curiosity.

A set of pigments and brushes from an upmarket decorator. For the health of the eye and heart.

A standard of the Teutoburg, or the sword of any noted Consul.

I asked where I could view a Roman Eagle standard in a previous thread and had the disappointing reply that none were known to exist. Its a great shame. I know exactly where your coming from with the swords. If I ever win the lottery I'm straight to Tokyo for an antique Samurai blade.

It would be fascinating to see the loot from Herod's Temple in Jerusalem. It's pictured on the Arch of Titus, inside the arch. It's rumored to have been kept in Rome until the city was sacked by the Vandals (?), may have been lost at sea on the way to Vandal Africa.

a mini statuette of the God Pallas, that Constantine had with him.

I asked where I could view a Roman Eagle standard in a previous thread and had the disappointing reply that none were known to exist. Its a great shame. I know exactly where your coming from with the swords. If I ever win the lottery I'm straight to Tokyo for an antique Samurai blade.

I would do the same as well. I even hear that they sell fifteenth century/sixteenth century helmets and other pieces of armour.

I asked where I could view a Roman Eagle standard in a previous thread and had the disappointing reply that none were known to exist. Its a great shame.

It really is... there are no more standards, one of the most feared/beloved- one of the most powerful symbols ever to trudge the earth... and they are all gone. :D

Hmmm,

I'd like to get my hands on a copy of one of Claudius's lost histories especially the one on the Etruscans. I'm kind of interested in seeing his literary style. Also I would think we'd know more about the Etruscans. But I would settle for the Sibylline books! (and the burnt ones too if the legend involving the king is true).

1) One of Caligula's German bodyguards so I can get back from the pub safely.

2) All of Rome's lost music manuscripts (it would be wonderful to hear the music Emperors revelled in).

3) The fire from the Temple of Vesta.

4) Cicero's hands complete with Senate door.

Edited by WotWotius